Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

I just got a 91 trooper with 2.6 5speed 150k miles.

I'm thinking I need to replace the radiator, as it looks like PO used bart's stop leak, as evident from the coolant color and smell. My temp guage doesn't work, so not sure how warm it's getting. Pretty sure it's good for now, but I wan't it to be great.

While I replace the radiator, any other maintenance you can recommend while I have the radiator out.

I'm going to change the 3 belts.
Anyone know the belt part numbers?

I'm confused on wither the 2.6 uses a timing belt or timing chain?

I had the transmission drained and filled, due to a sound in 5th when deaccelerating, was told it was a syncro mesh problem (warn out trans). If noise gets worse I guess ill have to find a trans/clutch.
Better to rebuild or buy used? Anyone sell a reman/rebuilt trans?

Thank you for your time and advice.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
2.6 uses a timing belt, replace at 60,000 mile intervals.
Manual tranny & t-case fill separately, use motor oil not gear lube or atf, if motor oil wasn't used change to the correct lube NOW.
Replace a bad tranny with a used one, way too costly to have one rebuilt. Any 4x4 Isuzu w/2.6L engine, manual tranny from '88 through '95 will interchange.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you are replacing the radiator - might as well replace the upper/lower rad. hoses - thermostat/gasket - rad. cap - coolant.

Drain eng. block and flush - do the same to the coolant overflow tank. Get the coolant path as clean as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.