Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys here a tough one. I CONVERTED my '99' Trooper from an automatic to a '95' 5 speed manual. Got all the parts off the donor car. Also replaced the automatic instrument cluster to a manual out of a '99'. My computer for the automatic was bad so replaced it with a '99' computer out of a wreck. Had to have the computer repaired and reprogramed to the Vin# on my Trooper. Took all this stuff to Hawaii where the trooper is and plugged it in. Connected the battery, hit the key and NOTHING. No lights came on in the instrument cluster except the right turn signal light which stays on all the time. The starter does not engage and I don't hear the fuel pump run either. I am stumped. The only wiring that is different from stock is the transmission harness which also came from a wreck. I don't know if the computer is truly working or some other problem exists. The Trooper did start and run but wouldn't move due to bad tranny. Any help on this problem is appreciated. Steve

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Do you have the old brain to plug in and see if it changes ?? Maybe your missing a master ground.
It might even be the wiring harnesses are a couple pins off. Did you disconnect the master plug going through the floor. Not fun buddy !!! I'm sorry ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the plug that goes to the TOD computer? I was womdering if that could be the problem. Going to have to do some slicing and splicing. I do have the old ECM but 2500 miles away. What all does that harness have hooked to it?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm talking about the plug that connects the front and rear wiring harneses. Did you replace the wiring harnes going tongue pedals for the clutch neutral safety switch ???
I switched amigo body's new one was auto old one was a manual. I figured I would horseshoe the neutral safety switch wires from the auto shifter in the floor but it just wouldn't work. I had drivin it before I ever tore it apart so I knew it worked. Anyway I changed out the wiring loom going to the back of the vehicle ahead of time. I checked and the plugs where totally different pin counts, where they go through the floor. I had to go out to the fuse box in the engine compartment find the relay for the starter. After messing around for a bit I found the ground port ran a jumper wire to a bolt on the fender whel put the relay back in and done deal. Bypassed the safety but I could atleast start it with the key.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what I have done. I have the clutch switch installed which came from the '95' along with all the other mechanical stuff. That part is finished. Wiring - I got a wiring harness for a '99' manual transmission car which plugs in to the left of the radiator down low. Plugged everything in to the transmission clear back to the speed sensor. There is a 9 pin female plug on the end of that harness. There is also a 9-pin female plug going to the back of the car so I need to bridge across that matching the color codes for the wiring RIGHT????? At the automatic shift quadrant I left the switches (winter power) plugged in and zip tied the small switch. I think it controls the little solenoid that unlocks the shifter or something - zip tied it closed and tucked all that down on the tranny tunnel. I do have the automatic wiring harness that came with the car. It is attached to the transfer case so I have at least part of the correct plugs. This harness is attached to the speed sensor, also looks like high/low range indicator switch and possibly 4 wheel drive indicator switch. There is also a ground wire and a 3 wire male plug - purpose unknown. So what do you think I either did wrong or need to correct? Thanks for your help. Understanding the wiring on these cars is not my strong suit. What part of Washington are you in. I am normally in Portland. I have been buying and fixing Troopers then selling them. Working on a '96' now that needed an engine, its up and running just working out any bugs. This '99' has been a challenge from the word go. Steve

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That might work out. I work in Oregon city live just over the bridge. I also had trouble with wiring because the new body came off a two wheel drive, So I never had a 4x4 light in the dash.
If you don't have the back wired in you won't power up the fuel pump... In the process of building my 2000 amigo with a 99 donor some of my plugs have been way different. Luckily I was able to switch most of it over. The 99 was an automatic and it had two brains. The wiring harness for the tranny plugged in on the side of the engine same three big plugs as the engine ECM.

So as of now your rig will turn over??
You don't have any dash lights ??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no dash lights and the starter does not energize. You turn the key and it is like the battery is not in the rig. The only light that does come on is the right turn signal light in the dash, no blinking and dim. Kind of like the computer or dash cluster is looking for a ground. Everything else works like lights horn windows etc. Just engine part does nothing. Had a Volvo once that if you turned on the turn signal the diesel engine died. Found out a ground wire had come loose in the fuse panel. I have the original harness laid out on the floor will be working on it tonight and tomorrow. Let you know how things are going. We should meet when I get back to town and talk Isuzu's, pick one anothers brain. Do you have any parts? I am retired so my shedual is open. Steve

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I've got a little collection going on at work lol my
Own junk yard par say lol. I've got some of my old 91 amigo stuff doors hood/fenders/ inner cab parts stashed at my house. I've got a complete 99 frame 4x4 that I was running on while I repaired the 2000 frame. And a 99 amigo body still full of everything. When you gettin back this way ??? I'm always up for meeting isuzu people. My buddy moved to Seattle so I'm feelin the short end of the stick lol. I'm gettin to know people on here that I look forward working with and someday offroad with. My amigo needs go be tested out....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont get back till the 25th late. I need a center cap for one of the rear wheels on my '96' Trooper LS if you don't have one maybe you know someone who does. I never seem to be able to find them at pick n pull. Before I left there was a '92' 3.2 with only 104k on it. Wrecked as being towed behind a motor home. Wanted that bad even offered to pay for it in advance if they would pull it off the yard, they said no way. No doubt it will be gone before I get back. Sad. I'll get in touch with you when I get settled. Mean time I'll keep you up to date on this project. Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I have hooked up all the wiring going to the big plug that went from the auto transfer case to the plug that goes through the floor then up to the TOD computer. Still nothing it is like the computer is not getting power. I talked to the outfit that programed the computer and they said it responded normally. They are sending me diagrams and notes to see if they have some solutions. I am surprised noone else has chimed in on this tread. Jerry are you out there?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Dude, I feel for you.... This is why I stay FAR AWAY from the 2nd gens (Okay, yes I did get an '01 for the wife but that was after years of nagging) I love Kauai and was tempted to just stay there for the rest of my life when I visited. I'm jealous. I wish you the best of luck on your project.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Lol you funny man John!!!! Your no help damit lol. I know that when I pulled the dash and instrument cluster, basically stripping down the body to paint my automatic still ran. You shouldn't need both brains anymore but I'm wondering if the power is divided between them somehow ????
Like I said the 99 amigo has two identical sets off plugs one set was for the engine ECM and the other is for the trans. Are you sure you got the correct group of plugs ?? I'm not trying to insult you by any means just asking/starting at the basics. I just reread and thinking about this you might need to trick the wiring down by the old auto shifter. That won't helpnout with the instrument panel but should get to turn over and fire.

You can go out to the engine bay fuse box , pull the starter relay and carefully find the power port and starter wire port and get it to turn over. Atleast you might be able to get it to fire up and know that the brain is actualy functioning. The two brains stack don't they under the heater controls ??? Not sure if they could get mixed up ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks just like the Trooper one blue plug, one black plug and one green. The black one is pluged in to the tranny and the blue is for the O2 sensors the green one is currently empty however I have a green harness that operates the 4 wheel drive. On the black one thats pluged in that incorperates the 4 wheel drive out of a '99' manual trans Trooper. At least that is how it came with all the right plugs. The TOD computer on the Trooper is under the front passenger seat. I am going to try to energyze the starter with a screw driver and see if the problem is as basic as a bad starter solenoid. The clock lights do dim when you go to start it. Still no dash lights when you turn the key, that part is very strange. I would think that even without the O2 sensor harness the thing would light up and turn over. Still looking for more input from someone who has been in this position before. The more heads on this the better. You think the Japanese are getting back at us. Steve P.S. For those of you who care the weather here in Kauai is 80 degress and sunny with light breeze.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm envious .......!!!!!! It was in the 60's today. Did you see the other set of wires in the far right corner down low by where the radiator goes. Your a lucky bum lol
My wife put my hotub on cl and some people picked it up and took it to Hawaii area lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep thats the ones we are dealing with the others are engine harness plugs I assume same same on both rigs Trooper and Amigo. That is why I am so stumped. none of that i have changed.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Hmmm!! Tomorrow I will look over the harnes that I took off with the auto and look all the connections. Maybe you need a loop wire!!! Do you have the old dash ??? Instrument panel...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No dont have the old dash. I am going to sleep on this and maybe I will think of a solution. Maybe a Honda guy will chime in after all honda has some isuzus in their fleet. Steve

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I just looked at the harness on the automatic. There are the small three wire plugs that probly control the neutral safety switch. Do you have the auto shifter still to trace the groups out??? If not I can dig into my doner and get an idea !!! At this point I would suggest sitting down with a good schematic and trace the power supply wires and see if they are separate from the trany and engine ECM. You might have to loop out at that other group of plugs that went to the trans wiring harness to complete your power supply. If you have the old harness I would suggest plugging it back in shifter and all. From there you can start undoing plugs and stuff to find the culprit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts