Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Trooper II. Runs great, but recently it's been chewing through oil to the point of refilling it just about daily. It wasn't leaking anything though, as leaving it parked yielded no stain on the ground. Upon opening the hood, pretty much everything on the left side was coated in oil, which I'm starting to believe is being ejected from this little hose that sticks off the main block, just above the alternator (Temporarily marked with a yellow electrical cap). Is this supposed to connect to something or have some sort of cap on it? Please let me know!

Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Automotive tire

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that is a breather for the fuel pump. The pump probably needs to be replaced.
That would make sense, assuming the fuel pump is pressurized, considering I've had oil spew out onto the underside of the hood and the far edge of the engine bay. However, I'm curious as to why the fuel pump would be tossing oil. I take it that just like most other things, it needs oil to stay in running order?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fuel rod goes at a diagonal from the top of the head to the fuel pump cavity. If the diaphragm starts leaking, oil that flows down that passage (all kinds of hot oil circulating at the top of the end before it drains back down to the sump),will go right out the vent hose. Time to replace the fuel pump even if it's still pumping, as failure is imminent.

Rockauto has a good selection of pumps and they're not too $$pendy. Be sure to order a couple of gaskets if the pump doesn't come with any. IIRC there are 2 gaskets there and a phenolic or nylon spacer block, the reason you'll need two. The spacer can be reused if it's in good condition, just carefully scrape the old gaskets.

Thanks, though I'm kind of new to fixing my own Trooper, and I'm a bit stumped. Rockauto offers both a fuel pump with or without a strainer, which would be the better buy?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts