Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The fuel rod goes at a diagonal from the top of the head to the fuel pump cavity. If the diaphragm starts leaking, oil that flows down that passage (all kinds of hot oil circulating at the top of the end before it drains back down to the sump),will go right out the vent hose. Time to replace the fuel pump even if it's still pumping, as failure is imminent.

Rockauto has a good selection of pumps and they're not too $$pendy. Be sure to order a couple of gaskets if the pump doesn't come with any. IIRC there are 2 gaskets there and a phenolic or nylon spacer block, the reason you'll need two. The spacer can be reused if it's in good condition, just carefully scrape the old gaskets.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Thanks, though I'm kind of new to fixing my own Trooper, and I'm a bit stumped. Rockauto offers both a fuel pump with or without a strainer, which would be the better buy?
The OE pump is mechanical, so if you want a direct replacement get one of those. They threw in a couple of universal electric replacement pumps as an option, but there's no reason to mess with that when the mechanical pump will give good service and is relatively easy to replace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts