Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know what others are getting? Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'm getting pretty poor mileage. About 12-13 MPG around town.

I don't drive like a maniac, but ya gotta put it down to be able to merge with traffic at times.

I'm still waiting on my trailer hitch (backorder), but I'm scared to see what kind of mileage I get when towing! :shock:

Any tips to improve mileage? I've got a fresh air filter and properly inflated tires (stock size).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Speedzilla said:
Curious to know what others are getting? Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'm getting pretty poor mileage. About 12-13 MPG around town.

I don't drive like a maniac, but ya gotta put it down to be able to merge with traffic at times.

I'm still waiting on my trailer hitch (backorder), but I'm scared to see what kind of mileage I get when towing! :shock:

Any tips to improve mileage? I've got a fresh air filter and properly inflated tires (stock size).
Depending on what people call "City" Driving, I get about that also around town but I live in a dense area here in NY though. As for highway, 17-18 is what I get with my heavy foot, OME lift and bigger tires, and loaded with 4 people and stuff so it's not too bad for a heavy truck. The new 3.5 engine is rated at over 20MPG with the direct injection though.

Con

·
Registered
763 Posts
I get about 12 in the city and 14 on the highway (70mph). IF I exceed 70 mpg drops. 55 gives best mpg (16).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here are what I've found...

12-13mpg in the city (stop and go, some expressways), 275-70-16 tires 1" lift, ARB Bumper, heavy side steps, etc. etc.

9-10mpg towing a 5000lb car-trailer @ 70-80mph in medium hilly, 275-70-16 tires 1" lift, ARB Bumper, heavy side steps, etc. etc.
interstates, 275-70-16 tires 1" lift, ARB Bumper, heavy side steps, etc. etc.

16-17mpg on the highway at 75-80mph, 275-70-16 tires 1" lift, ARB Bumper, heavy side steps, etc. etc.
21mpg on the highway at 55-60mph stock tires no lift

-mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've owned a 2000 Trooper for just 2 weeks. We got ~17MPG on the first tank, which is with AC engaged and tearing around town :). I'm expecting 20 with more reasonable driving. It's got a 5 speed and has 42k miles on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
20.5 MPG on my run from Denver to the San Luis Valley over Labor Day weekend. My speed varied from 75 mph to 40 mph. Went over two small mtn passes: 10k ft & 9k. Had Wife, 3 kids(small) and back of Trooper completely loaded to the top.

I'm running Mobile 1 in Engine and diff's, with K&N Air and Oil Filters. Tires are the factory stock 684 Duelers. Shocks: Tokico Trekmaster R/T.

I've even been impressed with my 4 wheeling MPG. After run up highway, spend most of day in and out of 4x4 low, then come back to town - still get 14-15 mpg.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi All

My mileage had been bugging the hell outta me(9mpg NYC driving and 16 HWY) since i got my baby in Oct 04 did everything all the tune up items plus new EGR and PCV. did NADA put in the K&N drop in, the fuel mileage went up to about 19 mpg(smooth traffic NJ hwy driving) i highly recommend them! although 19mpg is factory spec, should be higher if its properly running, it should be 19mpg with regular filter NO?! something must be still wrong i figure, city is still around 10mpg, with lower air flow at lower speed. So I cant take it anymore so decided to take it to the dealer they found the Intake Manifold gasket is leaking also an injector is abit loose but the mechanic adjusted it. the dealer want $440 for the gasket! so i went to Strauss they want only $206 but BYO-Gasket($25 with shipping AW-Golden Isuzu). The dealer dude said NYC driving with the stop and go should be about 12mpg? i do abt 65% street and 35% expressway what u all think? they also said this is an older car 99 with 77k but i believe if its properly tuned should be almost factory spec :-\ this is buggin the helloutta meLOL efficiency freak and worry wart here LOL

Eric

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK GUYS!!! after months of trying to diagnosed my stinky 9mpg city(nyc)/16mpg hwy :cry: I had given up and decide to ran to the dealer for a diagnostic, $90 later they discover the dreaded leaky IMG-intake manifold gasket!!! they want $440 for it :shock: but i can get it installed part and labor at strauss auto for $250 and i did!

THIS HAD TRULY MADE MY DAY!!! :D :D :D the fuel mileage had jumped 4mpg to 13mpg nyc driving!(80% STREET 20% HEAVY NOT SMOOTH TRAFFIC EXPRESSWAY) havent tested the hwy yet :wink: (not much of those around here) but after i had put the K&N drop in even with the leaky IMG i was getting 19mpg hwy, while city mileage was still a dismal 9mpg. guess air filter dont play much role in low airflow traffic like city driving :?

so just to let u guys with stinky fuel mileage, your IMG could be the problem, from the post our cars are prone to them too :?

btw nyc only have 3 isuzu dealers but the one i went to is 100% better than the dam saab and infiniti dealers i am used to, no fancy capucinnoed show room or leather covered waiting area and the reception staffs can be cranky. but they got the sh*t done right and right away! i hope they keep this up! woohoo! btw my miserable 2001 saab 9-5 was getting 16mpg nyc driving with its 2.3 turbo4 according to the puter so i guess the 2 tons trooper with 13mpg aint so bad huh lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I get 17.5mpg - 19.5mpg mixed city hwy.
11.9mpg towing 3500-4000 lbs, with some headwind, with some hilly areas.

Never spent a full tank on just hwy driving, but I would guess 20-21mpg.

This is with a 2001 2wd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1997 V6 3.2L 4x4 Trooper with 96k miles.

I get about 16.5 pure hwy driving, 15.5 city driving, and 13.5 pulling a 2000 lb boat. I used to get 18-20 on the hwy, but that has degraded over time. It's interesting to read about the impact of the K&N air filter.

I've heard people say that cleaning the EGR valve can help, but I'm no expert.

It's also interesting to read how many people say their Trooper burns so much oil. For whatever reason, my Trooper has never burned a drop of oil until just recently when the valve cover gaskets started leaking a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. Of course, I've got sticky lifters and a coolant leak somewhere, so I'm not too lucky.

ph

·
Registered
6 Posts
9 - 10 mpg city

Before I cleaned EGRand tube, Seafoam,Plugs,PVC, Cleaned intake plentum,and chaned fuel filter !

Now it's avg is 12-13mpg city :lol:

99 trooper 3.5 V6 auto trans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.