Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 2nd Generation Troopers I have owned I have always used the P rated tires. The load carrying is more than adequate for what I do as is the sidewall and tread strength. The tires wear even and I am able to run them at a fairly low (like 32psi) pressure. As a trade off I like the idea of the lesser weight allowing better gas mileage and the P rated tires are cheaper to boot.

I do wonder though if I could expect better tread wear out of a C rated tire. I'm unwilling to consider anything in D or E rating as I drive the vehicle on the highway 70 or so miles each day with the only load being me, my backpack and gym bag. Has anyone run similar or identical tires in bot P and C ratings long enough to know what type of life differences there are and/or how much impact there was on mileage from the C rated tires? It would take a lot of additional tread life to make up for the increased cost and reduced gas mileage but it may be worth it.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
You do NOT want a D or E rated tire anyways....so don't fret over not wanting them.

For your truck, if it never sees offroad trails, just stick with p-metric

My rodeo from factory over 204k miles ago, came with P-metric tires, I ran them for 65k miles....however....that was not without several flats and repairs due to mild offroad adventures in the Vegas desert.

So...needless to say, I would never go back to a P-rated tire.

I DO run C-rated tires, and totally love them, but my truck sees 50/50 offroad/highway, I personally will never go back to p-rated tires on a lightweight truck, but we do a lot of boating, camping, adventuring where the blacktop ends.

I've spent my time running load range D and E as well, and trust me....you're not missing a thing.

FWIW - I've never noticed a difference in gas mileage from P-rated to load range C or even D; E range yes....but that was a whole different ballgame.

This set of tires truly is the first load range C I've had on this truck, as load range C tires used to be VERY hard to come by for the 16" size; thus the reason I ran 2 sets of load range D tires.

For your truck, I'd take a good look at Michelin's A/T tire, it's mostly a highway tire, but has some all terrain style and supposed to last a long time.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RF. I do some off road stuff probably 3 weeks or so each year but is Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forest trails though some are 4x4 "rated." I've been through the same places with Destination M/Ts, Destination A/Ts, Revo AT2 and Dayton ATs. All were fine though the M/T did have a little bit of chunking. My off roading ts by no means hard core and is relatively lightly loaded.

That is good news on the gas mileage on the P vs C tires for folks who need them. One option I have considered would be the Treadwright which are not available in the P rating but I can buy the Revos here in the P rating for about the same price as the C rated Treadwrights after factoring in the shipping.

I wish there was an AT in 235/85-16 in a P or C rating. Would seem better than 265/75 for most conditions and less weight and resistance.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I can say that my lightweight Duratrac's 265/75's feel just as light as my 225/75's did, from the factory, as long as I don't put more then 35psi in them.

Only thing I don't like about treadwright option, is if you need an immediate tire replacement, that option's not available.

Other then that treadwright tires are a fabulous deal money wise.

I have had Revo's in the past, they are an exceptional tire in everything but mud; very lightweight feeling and superb traction.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I ran Treadwright Wardens in a 265/75/16 Load Range C, I then switched to 265/70/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs in a P-metric tire. I wish the P-metrics had a 3 ply sidewall but I dont tow but do offroad during the summer and havent tested the P-metric off road. I switched because I wanted a lighter weight tire. PM if you have specific questions about Treadwright as I have had 2 sets and installed close to 8 sets.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
For your application, get the tires that weigh the less and have the longest mileage warranty - which in most cases, the P-rated tires will have a longer *mileage* warranty then an LT load range C will.

Discount tire stores are the only stores I'm aware of that offer a mileage warranty on LT tires; however all shops typically offer warranty's on P-rated.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian1006 said:
I ran Treadwright Wardens in a 265/75/16 Load Range C, I then switched to 265/70/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs in a P-metric tire. I wish the P-metrics had a 3 ply sidewall but I dont tow but do offroad during the summer and havent tested the P-metric off road. I switched because I wanted a lighter weight tire. PM if you have specific questions about Treadwright as I have had 2 sets and installed close to 8 sets.
I had noticed those but would rather stay with a 32" or even maybe a wee bit taller tire. Mine is a manual and with the factory gearing it is already wound a bit tight at 70-75mph. I wish they made a 235/85 or at least a 265/75 in a P rating.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Why not run 265/75 in a Load Range C. Other than the Coopers posted above to run that size you need to run an LT.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all sorts of options in P265/75-16 from street tires to full on mud tires. The Coopers look interesting but if I don't do Treadwrights (and all they have in 265/75-16 are at least C rated) I'd likely do another set of Revo AT2 or Destination AT. Isn't that I would think they are better so much as it is they are all readily available and fairly discounted at the local shops. Typically they will match or beat Tire Rack.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Van, there is a Mastercraft tire shop in OKC, on NW 10th, just west of Pennsylvania. Mastercraft Coursers are REALLY good tires for the price. A C range 31-10.50 would fit nice.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I've always run C rated LT's on my Zoo's. They generally handle better than P metrics. More durable in my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts