Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8) '92 Amigo, 2.3L, 5 speed.
I get a "roaring" sound from the trans. area at the front.
It's hard to describe but it does sound like it is coming from the trans.
I recently had a new clutch, TO bearing etc. installed. Didn't fix! :cry:
Is the 5spd. in the Amigo noticeably noisy by nature or is there another issue worth looking at?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Did you replace the pressure plate with an OEM unit or one of those kits designed to fit several different applications? If its shifting good, but still making that noise its probably the throw out bearing from a kit that is making noise against a pressure plate that really doesn't fit correctly.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i had a 89 trooper that i drove from phoenix to st louis , i got to st louis and the transmission was making a bad noise , no noise in 4th gear, i took it to a shop and they said the tranny was bad $2300 . 5 speed

the thing is it was normal in 4th gear , in 4th its a 1:1 ratio meaning the main shaft is using no gears , its straight thru the tranny , i drove it to phx in 4th gear .

the problem was the lay shaft bearings were bad . so i guess the question is , is your transmission quite in 4th gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody for the 411,
johny59 posted:
"Did you replace the pressure plate with an OEM unit or one of those kits designed to fit several different applications? If its shifting good,
but still making that noise its probably the throw out bearing from a kit that is making noise against a pressure plate that really doesn't fit correctly"
I'm not sure where the clutch kit came from. But, it is not a "contact noise." It sounds more like a spinning noise, almost like the fan whiring or roaring.
The fan doesn't spin very freely up there so I'm wondering if that might be it. I'm going to "piddle" with it this weekend. :?
pbrooke posted:
"Is the sound constant or intermittent? " Ity is constant in that it occurs when the motor is running and is more pronounced under acceleration.
"You say "roaring," would you also compare it to a "grinding" sound?" It is NOT a grinding sound at all and it begins immediately.
5 th rodeo posted:
"...is your transmission quite in 4th gear." It is quite all the time except when I try to shift too fast...you know "speed shift" an Amigo...! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.