Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Isuzu Rodeo with a GM built 4L30-E transmission. Now that we have the info out of the way, lets move on to the problem: If it is in 4-low and drive or 1 on the selector (I feel like it doesn't matter) and I give it full throttle I can hear the engine rev up but it won't break the tires free, it will just sit still and make noise. Now as I understand it if a transmission is slipping it will rev up and not move but the problem is that it doesn't go much higher than 2 or 3k RPM. It has a V6 with 214 ft/lbs of torque and the final gear ratio at the axle is 19.68...? (2.40X2.00X4.10) Wait thats it? I know its a grocery getter but still. Anyway I started noticing this problem when I got the new 32's (265/75/16) that weigh 60 lbs each. Now I know the weight probably isn't a factor but i'm just throwing it out there. I don't think it could be the transmission itself, but I had someone tell me the torque converter could be the culprit.

What could be causing this?

Could it possibly even be something with the t-case?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
If it moves in reverse it is not the torque converter. If it moves in D range with Winter Mode selected there is an issue with first gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't even tell there is a problem until I need to get over some rough terrain/rocks or go up a steep hill. Drives fine otherwise though which is what confuses me.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Have you checked transmission fluid level and condition?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Are you sure 1st gear is working for a fact?

Not sure by what you mean exactly that it won't climb over a rock or climb up a hill - are you talking from a dead stop it won't do this?

And what size of hill are you referring too? Paved or offroad?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I know first gear works for a fact. I'm talking offroad on a mildy steep hill. I'm beginning to think its just not low enough gearing. I have an automatic and its not very low at all.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
kharvey said:
Yes I know first gear works for a fact. I'm talking offroad on a mildy steep hill. I'm beginning to think its just not low enough gearing. I have an automatic and its not very low at all.
Sorry...don't believe that's your problem.

I have 2 automatic rodeo's, a 91 and a 97 3.2L with 265/75 16 tires as well as yours; I have no problems getting it going up a very steep incline up at our cabin behind Pikes Peak in Colorado. From a dead stop on a steep incline, both of mine move just fine, I have 4.30 gears on my 97.

If you're pushing the gas and it's not going, you have other issues going on. Does this problem only happen in 4-low?

Have you tried leaving it out of 4-wheel and trying just in 1st gear alone?

If it moves without being in 4-wheel, then you have a transfer case issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would suspect transfer case as well. if your vehicle thinks its stuck between 4w modes, it likely wont want to move. My 4H-L was slipping out of H just slightly and the case/etc would be confused and mechanically it wouldnt move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts