Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to confirm this is the correct bolt to remove for the transmission test port? I bought a glowshift trans temp gauge/kit for this. This is a small bolt with two washers on it, a few inches above the small trans pan at the front, on the drivers side. It is tucked behind a small heat shield too that took two bolts to remove.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add what worries me is I referenced this thread- Line pressure Test port however this bolt is definitely not the same as mine, and the trans looks slightly different.

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
The red circled plug is the line ATF pressure test port, it is connected to the discharge side of the hydraulic pump.
Btw, the transmission has a built in ATF temperature sensor that sends the temperature info to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Some members use ScanGauge to access and display the ATF temperature on 00-02 Trooper using the OBDII Data Link Connector (DLC).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for letting me know about the scan gauge! That’ll save me some time plus I found one locally for about the same price as what the trans temp gauges are. I’ll give probably give the scangauge a shot first

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I installed the glow shift on my 2000 using this port. It works well. Mine is installed in the consul near the shifter

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update- I bought a scangauge 2 and added in the code for the trans temp from another thread by buster28. All is good and I can see my temp! Took 5 minutes, much easier than wiring up an external gauge. Already hit 215 degrees in Denver traffic for only 20 minutes. Looks like it’s time to get a trans cooler.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I was coming thru Denver about a month ago and I was at 180 degrees. But I have a cooler. Usually running down the highway I am usually running between 140 to 160 on the passes. I have hit 200 only a couple of times when crawling up trails. That usually only last for less than 10 minutes. A cooler is a good add on. I have about 168K on the original transmission.

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
Update- I bought a scangauge 2 and added in the code for the trans temp from another thread by buster28. All is good and I can see my temp! Took 5 minutes, much easier than wiring up an external gauge. Already hit 215 degrees in Denver traffic for only 20 minutes. Looks like it’s time to get a trans cooler.
Have you figured out how to use scan-gauge to create your own mode 22 requests?
Here is one to try out :
11 B3 should return Transmission Gear Status
Btw. I have a list with more PIDs if you want to try them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts