Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '94 Troop LS has 237,000 kilometers and prior to last night had never done anything like this but while I was accelerating quickly home after work it slipped momentarily before shifting into third. I had been thinking it was probably time to flush the tranny and replace the filter prior to this happening....lay it on me....will this help of am I $%#*ed? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
220 Posts
it couldn't hurt to flush the tranny, especially if you haven't done it before. If you go to one those places make sure they dont do a pressure flush cause that can mess up gaskets and stuff. I actually read somewhere that there is a way to get the tranny fluid outta the torque converter by your self without having to take it to the shop. Something about pouring tranny fluid in as it comes out while shifting through the gears. Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
633 Posts
The actual process for do-it-yourself flushing is as follows. Disconnect the hoses connecting the transmission to the radiator. Fill two buckets about 1/4 full with fresh transmission fluid. Place each hose in a bucket and make sure the hoses are submerged in fluid. Start the vehicle, in park, and let it idle for a few minutes. One bucket should get more full while one should be less full. The bucket that is less full is the fluid feed, while the more full bucket is the fluid return. Drain the fluid from the more-full bucket and fill the less-full bucket with new fluid. Start the vehicle and run through the gears several times, while someone monitors the level in the feed bucket.

That's it. The whole idea is to remove the dirty fluid in one bucket and supply fresh fluid in the other. When done, change the fluid filter, top off the trans fluid and you're done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My son's '97 recently had the same problem at 101,000. We ended up having the transmission rebuilt for about $1500. Runs like new now and we have a 2 yr warranty from a very reputable transmission shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
radare said:
The actual process for do-it-yourself flushing is as follows. Disconnect the hoses connecting the transmission to the radiator. Fill two buckets about 1/4 full with fresh transmission fluid. Place each hose in a bucket and make sure the hoses are submerged in fluid. Start the vehicle, in park, and let it idle for a few minutes. One bucket should get more full while one should be less full. The bucket that is less full is the fluid feed, while the more full bucket is the fluid return. Drain the fluid from the more-full bucket and fill the less-full bucket with new fluid. Start the vehicle and run through the gears several times, while someone monitors the level in the feed bucket.

That's it. The whole idea is to remove the dirty fluid in one bucket and supply fresh fluid in the other. When done, change the fluid filter, top off the trans fluid and you're done.
Heh that reminds me of a stupid mistake I did, I changed to a new 2 row line radiator for my isuzu 1993 3.2L , i tightened the transmission cooler lines but apparently not tight enough, when I was running with my girlfriend to go see a movie i started to notice my rodeo was losing power, and starting slipin , turns out to be the feed line got disconnected completely and basically flushed the transmission, thanks god i put it in neutral and stopped the car completely. filled the transmission with fresh fluid and god damn my transmission is shifting smoother than it used to.

So those rodeos have some god damn good transmission but dont be stupid like me and tighten them !! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.