Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fix one problem, another one showes up.

I installed the new alternator Saturday morning, everythings working great. Later that day, I start noticing a new shudder. Basiclly, I get a vibration, more through the steering wheel than shifter, but everything shakes. It happens when I'm maintaining speed at low RPM's. If I coast, and apply a little gas, the RPM's drop by about 200 and I get the shudder. It will last as long as I gently apply gas. If I let off the gas, it goes away, and the RPM's go back up. If I give it enough gas to down shift, the RPM's go up and all is normal. It does it at all your normal crusing speeds, 30-35, 45-50, and 65-70. One sure fire way to get it to kick in is to simply let it idle straight and flat.

The engine seems to be running smooth. It dosen't shake unless it's in gear. I figure I'll change the transmission fluid tomorrow. The level is fine. It's been a while, but it's not overdue.

Does this shound like the beginning of the tranny starting to slip? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andre

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Other than checking the obvious (tire balance, etc) I can only suggest that it isn't transmission slip. When an auto transmission slips, it's like you are driving a manual transmission and press in the clutch half way. You can still accelerate, but if you press down hard on the accelerator the engine will race and you won't be gaining speed.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tad,
I had kind of ruled out tire/ allignment issues since, when I'm experiencing the vibration, I can simply let off the gas and maintain speed and the vibration goes away completely. I'm going to get under there today and make sure everything looks fine, and maybe replace that one oddball driveshaft bolt that got lost at Arrowhead. I would tend to rule out driveshaft vibration, since it happens at lot RPM instead of high.

I'll keep you posted.

Andre

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it taken care of. The vibration was coming from the engine. I forgot to tighten the bolt that holds the alt to the mounting bracket.

I love learning lessons like, double check all bolts before thinking your finished. And it didn't cost me anything but a little frustration.

Andre

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Good grief, remember the post double check shops work. Well add Andre to that list :lol:

Just kidding, glad to hear it wasn't anything major. How did you tighten the belt with it loose? Or was it just barely loose?

Cheap/free fixes are good.

Joe

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I might have spoken too soon. The shudder is still present, as I discovered today, in a couple of gears. it seems to have gone in the 35-40 range, but 45-50 still vibrates. I think I'm on the right track, just need some more tweaking.

Joe, The bolt that was loose is what locks in the adjustment. The only thing holding the belt tension was the tension adjuster bolt.

I should have listened to your advice. :?

Andre

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Recheck the belt tension after everything is tightened back down. I'd say your vibrations will go away. Did you check your wheel lugnuts? I know some people take their passenger side wheel off to get at the alt.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.