Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys out there with 'zu knowledge and experience ever seen an additional protective cover/shroud for the TRS on the GM 4L30e tranny? As you all know, it is a vital and sensitive part and it lives under the car and collects all kinds of crud as the truck is driven. Posts on this forum and others indicate that it is a frequent trouble area. Cleaning, disassembly is a PITA; dealers replace these frequently instead (at considerable expense to the consumer). I've been thinking about fabricating an additional shield to go around most of the selector to keep stuff thrown up from getting into the mechanism. Has anyone else made one or have heard of such a thing? Is there an aftermarket product already produced? Are there any cooling or range of motion issues involved that I can't see? I'm thinking of a mild steel or alloy sheet material. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcomed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. The only thing I'd be concerned about is a cover holding more crud & moisture against the TRS. The TRS on my 2002 has a heat shield looking thingy that snaps onto the sensor body. No matter which way you look at it, the darn thing is in a tough spot!
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have taken two apart. Both were clean inside but the grease had really run. My $.02 is not that dirt gets in there but the heat from the exhaust and/or crappy OEM dielectric grease is the problem.

I just finished helping a buddy clean his. He had an old piece of sheet metal laying around that was about 3" wide by 10" long. We wrapped that around and radiator clamped to the exhaust directly across from the mode switch to in effect make a cheapo additional heat shield. Not saying this will work but it seemed like a good idea at the time and I plan to do the same thing to mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.