Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is a short video of the noise from the transmission/clutch are in the troop. The noise is a buzz/vibration that happens when letting off the accelerator or in a throttle feathering situation. Happens in 4th and 5th mostly, sometimes 3rd. If you get into the gas or let out completely it goes away. The tranny shifts smoothly and there is no noticable grinding, just this noise/buzz/vibration that is not felt through the shifter. Tranny Bearing? Clutch Issue? Ideas?[/url]

·
Registered
165 Posts
sounds like shes coming unglued. probly a wasted shaft bearing letting the whole shaft wander and a gear chew into another or into the case. check the trans oil and if its full of shavings its probly done for.
Or that could be the clutch disc coming apart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the tranny oil and it was nice and clean still. Not saying it isnt a bad trans bearing but the noise sounds like it is more from the clutch area. What would make that noise in the clutch?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does the clutch seem to act strange, chatter or grabby? im gonna say if the trans oil was clean its fine, the friction material could be seperating sticking out rubbing on the bellhousing, or even a broken part flying around in there.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Well - we know for a fact that 4th gear is direct without reduction or multiplication of input RPM and goes straight through the transmission unlike 5th which has a multiplier in the back of the transmission case.

So - this isn't a typical transmission noise as far as I can hear it anyway.

Is this 4WD?

I'd not bother with thinking that it's the clutch since it is engine RPM sensitive, and not road speed responsive. This noise is road speed I feel and you are looking in the wrong area.

Again, I'm not there with my handy stethoscope and this is guessing from your video and description. But - since this is 'also' in 3rd gear, then I would look further down the driveline for this problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
being that i somehow overlooked half of that first post, could be in the T case... hows the oil look in that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is 4wd. T-case oil was changed ate the same time. I am probably going to have to pull it all to diagnose the problem. It really is driving me nuts. The trans shifts easy and is quiet relative to gear noise and grinding.

One other thing I noticed is when rolling to a stop and clutch pushed in, as you pull the shifter back into 2nd or push into 1st sometimes you can feel a "bump". Almost like the clutch is grabbing it although it only a slight bump it is noticeable

·
Registered
9 Posts
did you pull it and find out my rodeo does same thing starting at about 38 mph top of 3rd gear its not a grinding but like sumn in the clutch shifts smooth just a metalic kinda whiring noise like metal on metal when going 38-65 then less noise it probably still there just traveling to fast to hear instide good . am curious to hear what you found out .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You might want to check out the rest of the drivetrain before pulling the trans. Sometimes sound will travel up the driveshaft and it will sound like a trans problem. I would think when you hear the sound you would have some sort of vibration or strange feel in the shifter if it was a trans problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sounds like clutch plate chatter alittle too was thinking maybe the clutch bearing thing is doing it when i push in the clutch it stops on these clutches there a pull instead of a push on the forks is what i thinking though .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved.The noise was vibration at the slip yoke. I junked the 2 piece drive shaft for a one piece shaft and the noise is history

1 - 12 of 12 Posts