Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I can remember, I've had a chronically greasy and grimy transmission pan and such. It was never really an issue, so I left well enough alone. The last trip to Uwharrie, Joe noticed a leak from the transmission line as it entered or left the radiator. I fixed the leak and topped off the fluid, and figured it was all good. I was under the truck the other night, and noticed a residue of what appeared to be trans fluid all over my freshly painted rear axle :? I just completed a 1000 mi. round trip voyage for Thanksgiving. I guess it could be a little over filled, and leaked out through the breather.

I figured it's time to pull the skid plates, clean the tranny and see what's going on. With everything clean, I'll hopefully be able to identify the source of the leakage. I was thinking about ordering a filter and gasket kit for when I drop the pan, and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or other things I should look out for.

Thanks,
Andre

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Since you are dropping the pan, clean the sealing surface to surgical standards. Best is to use a lint-free towel instead of a normal paper towel. Then do the same on the pan. Use a straight edge on the pan to check the edges for warping. These pans are easy to warp by overtightening the pan bolts. Check each hole and see if the area around the hole is bent up. Reinstall and torque the bolts to spec. Do the front pan while you are in there.

-Tad

·
Registered
591 Posts
Assuming you have the 4L30E, check the accumulator piston cover as well. That's a know leak spot on these AT's. The accumulator piston is the beer can top sized cylinder looking thing that sticks out the pass side of the trans. The cover slides in/out and has on O-ring seal.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

Is there a gasket for the front pan? I've only been able to find the rear gasket through the usual parts stores.

I do have a 4L30E, and I'll be sure to check the accumulator piston cover.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Yeah, that's the slang term for it here where I work.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

It looks like the main leak is coming from the area of the Park/Neutral Switch on the drivers side front of the tranny. I'm seing drips coming off the switch cover. My manual dosen't mention any gasket, or wether the switch even goes into the housing. The exhaust is in the way, so I can't get a great look at things.

Help me narrow this thing down. What should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Andre

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I spent my weekend replacing the transmission filter, and installing a tranny cooler. The cooler install was really no problem, aside from needing an additional length of hose on Christmas day :? The real PITA was the transmission pan. The exhaust that crosses over below the trans prevented me from completely removing the pan. It was wedged between the flex pipe and the part of the trans that extends down into the pan. I took the exhaust half-way off, but the rest of the bolts were nice and rusted. I barely had enough room to scape off the old gasket, and replace the filter.

The currious thing was that my trans pan has no drain plug :? I could find absolutely no way to drain the fluid short of pulling the pan. Let's just say that my driveway is covered in kitty-litter right now :p

Everything seems to be shifting smoother already!

I was running short of time, so I didn't do much to the Park/Neutral switch other than tighten the mounting bolts.

Andre

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.