Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a "real" shop manual? I'm going nuts trying to diagnose things with over the counter information.

Just in case someone has seen this.

I appear to have something strange going on with the electronics controlling the trans. 90% of the time the trans shifts like butter.

10% of the time it freaks with 3 gear, always 3rd gear.

Sometimes it will slam into third, I pull over shut it off back to normal.

Sometimes 3rd will not engage. Shut it off back to normal.

Doesn't seem to care if it's hot or cold. Temp is running right at 185.

I replaced the purge valve, MAF, and PCV on advice and that "seemed" to fix things for about a month.

Now back to the same thing. Fluids are new.

I do occasionally get a low reading from the system that makes me thing the purge valve has gone again.

I read the schematics available but I get 3 different versions from haynes and 2 online versions.

Heck one says there is a TCM in the vehicle. I can't find it.

Anyone seen this kind of behavior?

Are real shop manuals available?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry about your transmission troubles there Phil.
I see you changed the fluids, but does this trans have a filter as well ?
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.
I found a my Isuzu Factory Workshop Manual on e-bay recently for $40.00.
Good luck, and welcome to the Planet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a bad habit of rebuilding orphan vehicles. I had a 64 Mustang with a 260 (first month they made the car) and had to use half Falcon parts. Then I rebuilt an International Scout, not just the Scout but the "Scout Traveller". Talk about scarce info and parts.

Those vehicles were easy compared to the AT on this one. It seems to be a "holistic" vehicle. Everything affect the AT. Perhaps I can hire Dirk Gently to help out (no one will EVER get that reference).

Did you get the manual on ebay, amazon???

I want to give this Isuzu to my 16 year old son since I put 195K on it with almost no problems. It is one hell of a reliable vehicle except this issue. Heck I'm in PA and it has 1 small rust spot. Never refused to start.

We just replaced shocks for a father/son "this is a car" not a computer moment.

Change fluids you are good. I actually looked at an Axiom that is for sale down the street the other day.

I'm a glutton for punishment. Actually it's has been more reliable than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, I hear you man.
I can never resist tinkering around to make whatever I have 'better'.
The RS is the best rig I've ever owned, though I still get a tear in my eye whenever I see a '68 Impala like the one I had when I was a kid...:(
I found my manual on E-Bay, but you might try your local library since your rig is a bit newer than mine.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have the FSM for 2nd gen Rodeo's in .pdf format. I also have a manual for the 4L30E in .pdf format. PM with your e-mail and I send.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Phil G said:
Those vehicles were easy compared to the AT on this one. It seems to be a "holistic" vehicle. Everything affect the AT. Perhaps I can hire Dirk Gently to help out (no one will EVER get that reference).
Why,did you end up with a bolt stuck down the intake manifold with no possible way it could be removed,much less have gotten stuck in there like that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts