Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm having a problem where my transfer case will slip out of 2H and 4HI when I make a sudden stop. Is there some sort of vacuum line that runs to the transfer case to hold it in gear? Second issue is, the transfer case slips out of 4L as soon as you put the transmission in first gear.

The truck is a 94 Rodeo with the V6.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Any idea if it was ever ran out of gear oil??? Is it manual shift or push button ??
And how many miles are on it ?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If the transmission crossmember has taken a hit and gotten forced upward this kind of thing can happen, and is fairly common on wheeled Isuzus. I use used a bungee cord to keep the t-case lever in 4Lo.

However, one other thing to look at is the motor/tranny mounts, if any of them are bad similar problems even if the crossmember is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if it was ever run dry. There is a leak from the output shaft of the transfer case, was planning on checking the level and service it if it needs to be. I'll check the engine mounts as well. No damage to the crossmember and the mount looks good.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So those are all mechanical shift controlled. I had s 94 trooper that popped out of 4 hi &4 low. The drain plug was stripped so I retapt it for a pipe plug. It had been ran out of oil and the front output idler gear roached it bearing/bushing making the gear wobble and pop out of gear. It can be fixed in the rig just have to pull the back cover and tear down the gear clusters, if that's what it ends up being. I think I drove out the roll pins on the shift forks to allow everything to slip back and off. Made for less gear removal and instalation. Still wasn't a breeze but very doable....
Note before I figured out what was wrong I tried holding it into 4low and it popped the shift forks back and jammed everything up luckily it was in 2 hi,shifter was stuck past low ..
So consider that before trying to hold it in place while using 4 wheeldrive much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I pulled the fill plug and didn't feel any fluid when I stuck my finger in (did pull out a bunch of stripped threads though). Pulled the drain plug and about 5-6 ounces came out. Put the plug back in and filled her up with 2 quarts until she started seeping from the fill plug. We'll see how she holds up. Racing her this weekend in our RallyX.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
There is a needle bearing on the t-case input shaft that is the first thing to go when the t-case is low on oil...

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That sucks to have a plug stripped big time. I guess at least it's the fill and not the drain.
Prognosis still doesn't sound to good ....sounds like to many meat heads worked on your rig in the past. hope it holds for your event good luck!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, ran the truck this weekend. Apparently the low oil was the cause of the transfer case popping into neutral. Ran several laps and several jumps with hard landings and one instant stop (courtesy of a concrete barrier) and she never popped out of 4H. Now I need to bang out a fender and get some new lights for the front. :)

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts