Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...when the vehicle isn't warm my tranny has started to slip pretty good - only in third gear but still there is slippage nonetheless. hat is the general concencus? Should I pay to get the sucker rebuilt or find one at a wreckers? I know either way it's gonna cost me some bucks...son of a b....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did you check the fluid level??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, fluid level is 100%...checked when warm with engine running and shifter in neutral after cycling thru the gears. Fluid does need a change as I'm not sure when the last time it was changed but it is topped up regardless. Funny thing though...today it is shifting fine with no slippage but vehicle was warm when I drove it today as compared to cold yesterday. Could this have some negative effect?

·
Registered
99 Posts
seriously.... I know most motor heads gasp at the thought of going to Jiffy Lube, but they do offer one very, very good service:

So spend a hundred bucks, see if it helps. Better than big bucks for a new tranny+install+risk of going back in if the new one is bad too.

Anyways, the Jiffy transmission fluid replacment service is excellent. I think its called "t-tech" or some crap.
Couple reasons: It wont disrupt "what aint broken" Meaning, they dont touch your filters, gaskets, etc. Also, it is a full replacment of fluid. If you did it the "at home" way, you would need like 10 drain/fill cycles to get all the fluid replaced. This is because when you drain yourself, only like 1/4 of the fluid actually comes out. You just end up diluting the old stuff over and over. Jiffy lube's machine uses your tranny cooler lines as its "in and out" for the fluid replacment machine. Every ounce of dirty coming in is replaced with an ounce of clean going out.

I tell ya, its brilliant.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can;t you replace all the fluid yourself with a couple buckets, and alot of transmission fluid.

·
Registered
99 Posts
sure, you could make a mess, spend 50 bucks on longer hoses, clamps, and tons of fluid.

Im suggesting Jiff-lube 'cause its only 50 bucks more, and you can only hope that they break a line, blow your tranny, and are liable to pay for a whole new tranny.

My secret dream is that when my motor turns 250k miles, I take it to Jiffy Lube and they forget the drain plug. Technician starts it up with no oil and buys me a brand new in the box Isuzu Factory 3.5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.