Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4L30-E transmission with v-6 1990 trooper. check trans light comes on after it warms up and then will not shift. you can shift manually. last road trip it ran 1300 miles with light on and having to manually shift it. then the next 275 miles it ran and shifted great. then the last 50 miles of the trip light came back on and had to manually shift it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like your transmission is going in and out of limp mode. The usual cause for this seems to be a dying shift solenoid. If you remove the trans pan & filter, these are relatively easy to check using a volt meter. Check on ebay and amazon.com for a transtec manual for your year transmission, should be around 12-14 bucks. It descibes the procedure in clear detail and gives you the resistance specs. I would assume that your specs would be the same as my '96, but i don't know for sure. If you want, i can dig my manual and see if i can write out the procedure.

Adam

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks, i will look for a manual. i noticed that the winter performance indicators were not working (illuminating). i reconnected the connector under the console and now the performance light illuminates but not the winter. also can not start in 3rd gear. I think i will replace the switch. the guy i bought my trooper from said everything was working before he tore out the carpet.

thanks again

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 90 was doing the same thing the tranny light would start flashing and it would stay in a high gear so from a dead stop u would go extremely slow. After putting it in park and restarting the car it its ok. My winter mode light doesn't illuminate on the consol either but the power drive light does. The previous owner put a 1994 rodeo tranny in it but thats about all I know. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.