Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
My book actually says the fluid and filter is supposed to be changed every 18,000 miles. I have not been this dilligent. I've done it every 30,000.

This is something you can do yourself but it's not easy, it's not clean and it's not a quick process. I've written a few of these before here is Randii's method from the 4x4wire:

1.) Take the outflow hose off the transmission, and put a 10-foot extension on it... route that extension up and over the passenger door mirror so that gravity keeps the fluid in the hose instead of running out)... drop the open end of that hose in a 5-gallon bucket, and duct tape it to the side of the bucket so it doesn't jump out and douse your driveway.
2.) Take another 5-gallon bucket and drill/tap/TRV a bung into the bottom of it
3.) Connect another 10-foot extension hose to that bung, and place the bucket on the hood (on a towel if you have nice paint). Duct tape it down, too, for the same reasons stated above.
4.) Connect the other end of this extension hose to where the inflow hose connects to the transmission.
5.) Use a tube-clamp or a set of vice grips to clamp off the extension hose near the bucket.
6.) Fill the bucket with tranny fluid (Walmart has it in 1-gallon containers for cheap)... you want to use at least one-and-a-half times what the owners manual specs for your transmission to account for what's in the hoses. Me, I'd just drop the dime and put in two-and-a-half times the specced quantity to insure a thorough flush.
7.) Remove the pinch clamp or vise grips (this will start a slow gravity-cycle of the fluid), then start the vehicle, and cycle it through its gears. Keep an eye on the bucket fluid level and shut the vehicle off when you run out of feed fluid.
8.) Disconnect and drain the extension lines and quickly reattach the factory cooler lines -- any fluid you lose while doing this can be topped off shortly.
9.) Restart the vehicle, run it through its gears again, then top off the tranny fluid through the filler or dipstick.
10.) Cap off the 5 gallon bucket of used fluid and take it to a recycle depot.
11.) Wipe out the inside of the feed bucket, throw some paper towels in the bottom, then label and bag all the extension lines, clamps, etc. that you used, and put them in the bucket, too. Cap off this bucket and put in in the garage for the next time you want to do this task.
12.) Post here and tell us how easy it was, and how much you saved...

NOTES:
Clear tube will help you see when you're out of fluid in the feed bucket... and will also help you see the change in old fluid and new fluid.
This will change out MOST of your fluid, but not all -- I'd guess 90%.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll 2nd the method just described. Gets new fluid in the system without having to rent/buy expensive flushing equipment..

I also change the filter. I do this first; then do the flush with the buckets.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I've heard different opinions on when to do the filter. I would think you would want to do the filter after the flush. But so long as you are getting good clean fluid and a new filter in there you are ahead of the game.

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hear ya, but my fear would be flushing thru an already dirty filter...something could break loose or maybe be more inclined to.

Who knows?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question...the dealer is looking for 220 for this job as well as changing the Dif fluids and transfer case fluid.
If I decided not to do it myself can I go to a AAMCO or would you suggest the Dealer?

And if so can you recomend a good one in the Boston area??

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am hesitant to take it to a shop because when I tell them how this thing is set up (no dipstick) they look at me like I am from Mars. I feel more comfortable doing it myself even though it is unpleasant. Especially now that I know how.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.