Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of anybody that makes/sales finned pans for our 4L30 trans.?
Will be needing a rebuild soon and would like to keep things cooler. Figure this, an aux cooler and the factory cooler should help fight the desert heat.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Never seen finned pans, that would be nice.

Trans outlet - external cooler - in-rad cooler - trans inlet.

Allows stock cooler to preheat ATF as orig intended & still cools beyond what any in-rad cooler could hope to accomplish.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A trans cooler is all you'll need.

Go to ebay and get a Hayden 1677 cooler.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
To bad your not closer i have a spare auto just sitting around. I talked to a tranny shop about those and like all automatic's heat just kills them quicker than road kill. It would be cool to build a deeper pan to atleast hold another quart.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i agree with brad , a bigger oil pan would be the way to go , 4 1/2 qts is not a lot of oil , my daughter has a lexus rx350 , it needs 6 1/2 quarts of engine oil , thats only a 300 cc bigger engine, i also have a 97 nissan 240sx , it needs 4 1/2 qts.

sorry for the engine posting , i didn't read it close to see your post was about a tranny.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
The tranny pan is 4 1/2 qts, but the entire unit takes 9qts, if one does a drain/refill say every 15k miles....that stuff stays real clean and fresh, not really giving the fluid any chance too be old enough to cook.

Although sometimes one strenuous offroad trip, or not gearing the transmission currently on a steep mountain pass can fry new fluid just as fast as the old.

As for engine oil, not sure on your newer 98+ 3.2L's, but my 97 rodeo takes right at 6qts with a new filter. That's more then our minivan with the 3.8L engine, and it's about standard for that size of engine.

I know of Nissan Xterra 00-04's V6 engines only use something like 3-4qts or so, ridiculously small amount.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ramblin Fever said:
As for engine oil, not sure on your newer 98+ 3.2L's, but my 97 rodeo takes right at 6qts with a new filter. That's more then our minivan with the 3.8L engine, and it's about standard for that size of engine.

I know of Nissan Xterra 00-04's V6 engines only use something like 3-4qts or so, ridiculously small amount.
My '99 Rodeo(3.2L) takes 5qts w/new filter and my wife's '99 Pathy which has the same engine as the earlier Xterra(3.3L) takes 3.8 qts.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Unless while the pan's off on a service you fire the engine up for a second you don't get all the fluid out of the systom ,or the tourqe convertor has a drain plug. If your fluid gets real nasty you can do the start engine for 2-3 seconds once or twice and you'll sling a bit more oil out. It would work even by just having the drain plug out. Not having a dipstick for easy filling and flushing its not as pleasant a task. I've also had a trany guy tell me that the more fluid you have in your system (pan ) The more heat it hold's think of a deep fryer lol... Makes some sense, but more volume in my oppinion is mo betta..

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
bradzuzu said:
...Makes some sense, but more volume in my oppinion is mo betta..
My thought is along the same lines. Best way to increase volume without increasing the 'heat well' would be secondary cooler inline before the in-rad cooler. more volume AND better cooling :)

~psguardian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts