Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Check Trans" light blinks and Check Engine light came on simultaneously. Computer code reads P1870. I cleared it once, lasted 4 days / 10 warm-ups / 80 miles. It seems to shift just fine. 1999 Trooper, 60K miles. Flushed the tranny at 30K miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
894 Posts
To add to Amigo-2k's advice.

30kmis is pretty much the fluid change limit on the AT at least if you want it to last a long time. Since you are there now you might as well change the fluid now. If you are lucky it will flush out something or correct an improper level.

The mode switch/range sensor is a somewhat common problem. I had it myself. As for symptoms, in my case the car would mysteriously drop out of cruise control or I could gently tap the shifter and although it wouldn't change gears the gear indicator on the dash would change. Not the hardest job in the world but not the easiest either. Point being you may want to check for such other symptoms before automatically doing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2000 Trooper never had the indicator light come on, and I changed fluid per specs at the factory specified intervals, but I experienced what at first appeared to be the trans moving into "limp" mode. I was at work so I decided that the 4.5 miles to the dealer would be easy to make and I started out but never made it. The Troop died on the expressway on a bridge over a river. I shut it off and restarted it and was able to pull out of harm's way and AAA delivered the Trooper to the dealer. One new transmission later [luckily under warranty] I received a copy of the work order with the following message "Trans Code P1870 - Trans Failure, major pieces of clutch material in pan"! I wouldn't go too much farther with out some kind of thorough check of your 99's tranny. Good Luck !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.