Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am towing a 2000 lbs Popup with my 2001 Trooper. Not everyday but on weekends and at least one long trip a year. So far no problems.
But I hear very often that people recommend to get a Tranny Cooler. But I am not sure if it is really necessary. 2000lbs is the max I am towing.
Should I get one?

But since I do not have the time nor the knowledge to do it by myself, how much would it cost to get one installed? Do the Isuzu dealers know which one to take and where to mount it?

Soory for the dump questions but I am no mechanic and this is my first car with automatic transmission in 20 years.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
2000lbs shouldn't be a problem. Isuzu rated the trucks for 5,000, and to my knowledge a factory tow package never included a tranny cooler.

My dad's 92 Trooper was our recovery vehicle. We towed 6,000lbs 2.5 hours home on hills that were enough for me to overheat my transmission on the way down. We towed 4500lbs from NY to VA, and another 4500lbs from NC to VA. It never had a cooler installed, and the transmission in it never blinked at over 200,000 miles.

Now..... I lost a transmission when it overheated and cooked all of the friction material off of 3rd gear. I now run the largest plate-type cooler that I could find :)

It's something that any half-way competent shop can install. The factory cooler hoses aren't rigid, so no special fittings are needed. I installed the kit myself and it took about an hour.

Personally for 2,000lbs I wouldn't worry. Don't push it hard on the hills and keep the fluid fresh.

-Tad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts