Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to install a tranny cooler and wanted to know what brands have performed well on later model Troopers. Hayden, Permacool, B&M?

There appears to be lots of room behind grill in front of radiator. Does it make more sense to install the aftermarket cooler BEFORE or AFTER the factory cooler/warmer?

Also, how important is adding a filter? THanks.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Brands are just an opinion in my opinion. Pick the one you like, and the one that looks easiest to install.

The thought behind putting your cooler after the factory cooler is you don't want your fluid to get cooled off then warmed back up by the rad.

So let the rad. cool the real hot fluid coming from the tranny and then after the rad. has done it's job you can run it through the new cooler.

A spin on aftermarket filter is just overkill. I'd like to add one, but I didn't when I added my cooler.

Joe

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The reason some say to put the aftermarket cooler BEFORE the
radiator cooler/heater is that on cold days the radiator actually
warms the fluid. If you put the cooler AFTER the rad cooler/heater it
will take away the heat.

Anyway would the radiator really put back that much heat if the
cooler was before it??

Anyway directions on the box usually state to put the cooler before
the radiator cooler/heater.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The Hayden FAQ addresses the before/after question...unless you live where it gets very cold (-30F) I would put the cooler in line after the radiator pass-through. Guessing that's not a problem in Memphis...

On my 99 Trooper I mounted a cooler on the center support in front of the radiator. Never was a big fan of the zip-tie through the radiator type of mounting that comes with the cooler.

Double clamp your connections, the only real downside to a cooler is if it leaks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
BigSwede said:
TNever was a big fan of the zip-tie through the radiator type of mounting that comes with the cooler.

Double clamp your connections, the only real downside to a cooler is if it leaks.
Everybody says that about the zip ties.

I have done it to several cars and there has never been an issue. A key is to make sure you put the little pad that comes with it between the cooler and the condensor.

Yeah leaky tranny coolers suck

Mike
8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.