Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 4 wire trailer wiring harness adapter/converter but plug doesn't fit the connector on the car.

This is for a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd v6.

Bought the car used so don't know if the connector is factory or not.
Looks like it is because it there is a clip holding to the body of the car (vs hanging free).

The converter I have is a Curt 55331 (Amazon_Curt_55331).

I need this for a move in a couple of weeks so not sure there is enough time to order another one.

The converter has 5 wires going into the plug that is supposed to fit the factory connector (green, red, yellow, brown, and white).

I believe the car connector side also has 5 wires (and I think they are also color coded).

Can I just cut both connectors off and splice the wires together (matching the wire colors)?

I'm doing this to hook up a U-haul trailer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is what the plug looks like on the adapter/converter
55331.jpeg

The car side looks like it has 6 tubes that accept pins of some kind.
End looks like:
OOO
OOO

My phone is dead so I can't get a picture right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here are some pictures from the service manual showing the H-40 connector:
manual_1.jpeg

In this photo:
H-40 #4 (B = black) is connected to the frame/ground.
#5 (G/W = Green base/White stripe) is connected to RR TURN SIGNAL LIGHT-RH
#6 (G/B = Green base/Black stripe) is connected to RR TURN SIGNAL LIGHT-LH

manual_2.jpeg

H-40 #4 (B = Black) is connected to the frame/ground.
#2 (R = Red) is connected to STOP LIGHT-RH, STOP LIGHT-LH, and HIGH MOUNTED STOP LIGHT

adapter.jpeg

When looking at the adapter plug from the back side (this is supposed to plug into the H-40 connector), the wire (color) going into the plug position:
#1 (Brown) #2 (Red) #3 (no wire)
#4 (Yellow) #5 (Green) #6 (White)

Based on the service manual looks like only pins 2,4,5,6 of the female H-40 connector do anything (connects to ground, stop lights, and turn signals) but the adapter has 5 wires going into it.

Can anyone explain how to connect this adapter to the factory wires (assuming I cut off both connectors)?
Can I damage anything if I connect the wires incorrectly?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes, you could damage something if it's hooked up incorrectly. I'd recommend trying to find the correct adapter. I'd definitely NOT cut the trucks connectors off. Although I'm not a fan of the 3M Scotchlock type quick splices, you may be able to cut the adapter's connector off and splice it's wires to the correct truck wire. Color codes on the adapter should be green-rt, yellow-lt, brown-running lights, red-brake lights, and white-ground.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's a better picture (less blurry I hope) of the adapter plug:
clearer_pic.jpeg

No way they'll connect.

Either the plug on the car is not the factory or the Curt adapter is wrong (instructions and website search show the connector shown here).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,469 Posts
It looks to me like the connector on the car has a cover on it. Try "unplugging"the end to see if it will come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts