Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is going to have a hard time convincing a jeep owner to trade for an SUV that has little aftermarket and who's manufacturer is no longer selling passenger cars in this country.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2465402588.html

Besides all that though, he's already got the better vehicle IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to have a 98 ZJ with the 5.2.... what a turd. 2 transfer cases, radiator, a sunroof that worked whenever it felt like it and leaked water, a VIC that beeped constantly, and countless other little things that went wrong all the time. It once leaked coolant for 5 minutes... then stopped. And it wasn't coming from anywhere near the front of the engine bay. Only had it a year, then traded up for a GMC. Sure, my Trooper is old and ugly, but I'd never trade it for another heep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
used to have a 99 cherokee too.... 2.5 w/ 5speed. Slowest thing on 4 wheels. Couldn't make it up a certain hill faster than 25 that my trooper could easily pull up at 40. Other than that, it was okay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
soundwave89 said:
I used to have a 98 ZJ with the 5.2.... what a turd. 2 transfer cases, radiator, a sunroof that worked whenever it felt like it and leaked water, a VIC that beeped constantly, and countless other little things that went wrong all the time. It once leaked coolant for 5 minutes... then stopped. And it wasn't coming from anywhere near the front of the engine bay. Only had it a year, then traded up for a GMC. Sure, my Trooper is old and ugly, but I'd never trade it for another heep.
I had one very similar to yours except it was a 97. Absolutely loved everything about it except the gas mileage. I had it for 2 years and never had problems with it and I put around 35k very tough miles on it (I don't drive much). I can remember one winter I actually pulled an early 90's 4Runner up the hill my parents live on. It's about a 35* slope. The guy that lived in the corner house drove a Silverado and laughed at me as I hooked the up to the 4Runner because he tried and failed. It was around 10" of snow with 1/2" of ice on top it. The Yota wasn't going anywhere on it's own. The Kuhmo MTs I had just dug down and up the hill we went. I would love to have that ZJ back. :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had a 96 ZJ Limited with the upcountry/towing/and limited packages. It had the 5.2L V8 and didn't mind the mpg at all. Pulled 20 mpg (just barely mind you) on long freeway trips, everyday driving was about 17. I loved the fact that it had more "luxury" than our 1996 Audi A4 in terms of amenities.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The last "Jeep" I drove was one like this.

It would go almost anywhere, had no creature comforts, full time 4WD, would flip over going around turns if you weren't really careful, but could be flipped back onto its wheels and continue on like nothing happened. It also scared a lot of slow drivers and made them move out of the way.

It wasn't really a Jeep though cause it was made by Ford....

I had much more fun driving these type of vehicles, especially when we went off road...

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
johnnie, did you see the '46 willys I posted in the other thread? I went and picked it up for my dad this past saturday. Not too different than the one in your picture there. Thanks for your service by the way. My pop is a Vietnam vet as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
stusvend,

I did see that one. Pretty good deal you got. The ones we had in Nam weren't actual Willis Jeeps, they were made by Ford and were not anywhere near as good as the originals. The 4 wheel independent suspensions and uni-body construction made them very tricky things to drive. Good thing the top speed was only around 60 mph.

That truck picture I used as an example. While my unit had ones just like it the one in the picture wasn't one of them. However, I saw many of the ones assigned to 8th Group as we often passed each other going in different directions.

Wish I had pictures of the rigs from my unit to share cause we had some really good looking ones. All my Pictures from Nam I left in DC, at the Vietnam memorial (The Wall). I think they are in the same warehouse now with the Ark of the Covenant...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts