Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my roof rack installed today and besides breaking some clips and snapping off the rear plastic molding that the trim sits under (DOH! - The trim got caught under it and I barely nudged it and the darn thing snapped right off at the corner. It was brittle. Not sure what to do about that one).

Anyway,
Got new trim clips from a junk yard today and got the molding on partially however as I figured it does not fit around the TR100 mounts.

What should I do here? trim off an entire piece of the trip rubber with a knife or do I need to cut the metal underneath as well. How about forcing it back on and just leaving it bent around the mounts? Is this even possible?

Finally, with the surco 5060 rack, what kind of weight can I safely place up there without caving the roof. I hear the late model trooper roofs are very weak. A cooler and a couple of sleeping bags in a roof rack bag should be OK right? Maybe a few lighter things as well?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i used a dremmel tool and trimed the piece on mine, then i used black silicone caulk around the trimmed part, if you try forcing the white clips will snap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
MarcusInMD said:
Did you have to dig into the metal or just the rubber with the dremel tool?
I recently installed the TR100's, I took a grinder with a cutoff wheel and had to cut the rubber/metal where the brackets are, the metal on the trim piece is L shaped on both sides, the side that was hitting the bracket, I cut out, cut along the bend on it and take out that small piece. It is quite simple.
I also broke several plastic clips, I went to a junk yard and got about 2 dozen more off a couple troopers for like 5 bucks, so I would have extras.
If you need it, I can probably take a picture.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I ground down the metal but left the rubber intact for now - Since it's sticking up in the air at the moment I may cut a slice on either side of the mounts. Not sure just yet. Man, I made a mess of the passengers side rubber in a few spots from heat melting the rubber a bit. The drivers side looks good. I may go back to the junk yard and pick up the trim pieces while I still can and have them for spares.

Seems like a nice roof rack.

·
Registered
338 Posts
MarcusInMD said:
Thanks everyone. I ground down the metal but left the rubber intact for now - Since it's sticking up in the air at the moment I may cut a slice on either side of the mounts. Not sure just yet. Man, I made a mess of the passengers side rubber in a few spots from heat melting the rubber a bit. The drivers side looks good. I may go back to the junk yard and pick up the trim pieces while I still can and have them for spares.

Seems like a nice roof rack.
That's what happened to me. Tried to cut around the mounts, butchered those, ended up just cutting thetrim flush with the brackets. Looks okay.

Still ended up picking up a spare set of trim pieces though. I broke one of those large end pieces too, but still haven't replaced it. Double stick trim tape?

-Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.