Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a loader/backhoe for my business and need some info regarding tow capacity. The unit I want to buy is 5400lbs and the trailer would be extra, maybe 600-800lbs more. I have class III 2" tube steel hitch and am curious what else would have to be done to truck to tow such a unit. New engine with stronger tow capacity? Transmission cooler? I know I will need electonic brake controller for trailer. Will I kill my truck towing over the manuals stated capacity of 4500lbs, even if I only tow unit short distances( less than 60kms or 45miles) and only tow unit 10-25 times per year?

Any info feedback is most appreciated!

Richard

·
Registered
103 Posts
You would probably need a bit firmer suspension, and probably an additional trans. cooler. If you get the time and have a couple of hundred extra bucks a Sonnex shift kit will help the longevity of your transmission.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
they make a electronic shift kit for the 4L30e as well. Check the
Vehicross site.

Trans cooler is a must. Synthetic fluid as well. I think the 4l30e would
be the weak point here.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't even think about towing that much with your rodeo! Most towing experts/professionals recommend to only tow about 3/4 of the factory ratings. The factory is usually very generous when they give their ratings. Its flat out dangerous to exceed that rating by that much.

You need a full size half-ton truck at the minimum, along with a 8k or more trailer thats going to weigh more like 1500-2000 lbs. If you are thinking it will be alright if you only do it a couple times for short distances, when you have to slam on your brakes for whatever reason, and you do not stop (and you won't) and end up totalling your truck and new backhoe, it wasn't really worth it huh.
________
Dodge razor

·
Registered
66 Posts
I work for a construction equipment rental company and they won't hook a bobcat/trailer to anything smaller than a 2500 Chevy truck. You need to take into consideration the weight of the tow vehicle when towing... :!:
My $0.02

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The heaviest things I've towed with mine was a 67 Mustang Convertable on a full car trailer. I've also towed a four door Explorer on a full car trailer. Both times it handled it ok, but the trailer had brakes.

The truck didn't want any more weight. It was definately all it wanted.

Of course this is in the hills of West Virginia.

I'd say that's way too heavy to even think about.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.