Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks.. Happy New Year...

I want to tow a 1997 Trooper, automatic tranny, 4 wheel drive behind my motorhome.

Remco (towing accessories) indicate that I will need a driveshaft disconnect if the 4 wheel drive is "Non Torque on Demand."

My friend who owns the Trooper says the automatic tranny has a lever alongside the Auto Tranny shift lever that has 2 WD, High 4WD and Low 4WD on it.

What difference is there between this setup and the "Torque on Demand" that appears to be available in this model.

Remco also says that the "Torque on Demand" has to have "manual hubs" installed on the front wheels.

Please comment on this situation.

Thanks in advance... DD, sitting in Quartzite, AZ waiting for the big RV show to open in a couple of weeks...

·
Registered
192 Posts
As far as I know, all Troopers have to have axle disconnects if you want to tow it on the ground. I will check my owners manual on my 01 when I get home but I'm certain it's not designed for flat towing. If we had a neutral with our transfer case, we would not need an axle disconnect. Too bad.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
189 Posts
Let me second what Con said. You need to disconnect the drive shaft. I learned this the hard way with my '96 trooper. We towed it after i broke the engine playing in the mud. Tranny started spewing fluid. When i got it back a used motor, it wouldn;t shift out of 1st gear. I have tested the electronics, so now it looks like a used tranny to go with the used motor.

HTH,
Adam

·
Registered
558 Posts
well youll need axle drive shaft disconnects and youll whant manual hubs so you can disengage the front end too. If you have lever that opperates your transfercase then you dont have TOD. TOD is the newer electronic shift transfer case and is kinda a "smart" 4wd system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.