Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a 3rd part manufacturer that carries touchup paint
for the older troopers. I am having a hard time matching my color.
833 midnight blue b801-p802-0

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
After 15 years of exposure, you will never find an exact match. A good paint man can blend something to compensate for the fading and feather in the new paint, but the only truly undetectable method is to paint the entire rig. Macco is running a special up here and quoted me $300 for my Troop but I decided to go the Kraylon approach and live with the mismatch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hack said:
Macco is running a special up here and quoted me $300 for my Troop but I decided to go the Kraylon approach and live with the mismatch.
Not to hijack the thread (paintscratch.com is pricey, but good stuff), what kind of quote did Maaco do? Just a scuff and spray, or were they doing body work of any sort?

In the VW community, Maaco was oft used because of the theory that these guys spray a lot each day, every day. Just that the prep is crappy and they mask, not remove. All that, and since it's a franchise, Maaco's work will vary location to location big-time.

So, prep yourself, remove all the pieces that you can, and you stand a 50/50 chance of coming out with an okay paintjob. In theory, anyway. The ones I saw always had a bit of orange peel and obvious dust in the finish. No so much a matter if you're driving an offroad monster I imagine ...

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No body work, just scuff and spray. I wasn't looking for a good paint job, just something to make the color uniform.

As for the roof, I am only 5'10" so I don't see the top of my Trooper's roof much. :lol:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
midnight blue .... hmm

Thats my color, I found at Pepboys a dark blue Honda that matches pretty well. Repainted the visor with it. I don't know if I still have the cap to it in my garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.