Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've been over this, but I think mine must be the exception.

I think I've struck out.

The guy who put on my coils said my torsion bar wouldn't go up anymore.
I took a look for myself and couldn't get them to go up anymore.
Took it to a suspension place here in town and they told me it's maxed out.

What are my options? I have 3 inches of clearance on my front tires, and 7 on my rear tires. Somethings gotta give because I'm really starting to get frustrated.

What do I do now?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Reindex the splines

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
+1

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grobrooks said:
Reindex. There is a write up by BigSwede here:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... rsion+bars
There is another somewhere with photos. Good luck!
That's for a Trooper, but you think those directions are the same for an Axiom?

Thanks for the info. I was afraid I'd have to re-index them. I'm just learning to do any kind of mechanical work and I've had no experience with anything suspension wise until now. Maybe I can get to it tomorrow.

14 days til I head to Moab, things are looking up as I have done almost everything I need to do so far. Shocks, Coils, Off Road Lights, Roof Basket...

If I can get this done, I may even get to change out my tires before we head out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got 245/70/17's and I'd like to go a little bit bigger. I found a set of 245/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities A/T with 95% tread on Craigslist for $200. They're around $900 new.

I know it's not that much bigger, but I think the ones I have are as big as I can go without having to do some cutting, so even with those Goodyear's I think I'll have to cut at least a little bit.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Redstar, I have a thread floating around of my HD t-bar install. It should help you re-index yours.

All you have to do is back out the t-bar bolt (the one you've been cranking on) and remove the nuts on the lower control arm, then the t-bar will actually slide out. NOW, don't pull back too far because all you want to do is re-index. To do this, rotate the driver side t-bar clock wise, in other words rotate it to the passenger side. 3-4 splines should be plenty. Then slide the t-bar back in and put the bolt back in. On the passenger side you're going to do the same thing, except rotate it counter clockwise. Like I said you shouldn't need any more than 4 splines.

Let us know if you get stumped.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
correct me if im wrong...but since cranking the torsion bars is using the suspension travel, once that upper a arm travels all the way down re indexing the torsion bars wont raise it anymore, am I correct or am I wrong?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thats correct but his adjustment bolt won't let him crank the torsion bars. It's maxed out with the arms in the factory location. By adjusting the torsion key he will be able to lift the front like the rest of us.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing that concerns me is that if they've never been messed with with, then they shouldn't be maxed out right?

I bought it as a 1 owner with 102,000 miles back in 2009. A 45 year old woman owned it and from everything we could tell, she had never done anything to it except drive back and forth to work on a 45 minute commute each way.

It's pouring down rain right now (Thank God, we had 21 days straight of no rain,) but I plan on tinkering around later today if it ever stops.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Its hard to say. A good alignment shop may have messed with the bolts. But the fact is, its either maxxed out or stuck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you do a search and read some of the posts. I found that the factory sometimes installed them maxed out to get factory spec height. A few people have had this issue. Just be sure to bring a breaker bar so it doesn't work you to death. I have one thats around 4' and it will move anything with ease. This was black98rodeos thread for T bar install:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... +bar+maxed

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys were right on. That was the problem. She's starting to come together and she's looking beautiful.

Pics later.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pics now, but I'm trying to consolidate threads. I'll put the link in my sig.

You guys have been a ridiculously big help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts