Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there are some purist on here who probably think TOD is a waste of time...however, i am looking at buying a suv...i like the rodeo and axiom alot. the problem is i want torque on demand because here(in chicago) snow, ice, and rain are most of what the truck will see...sorry to say...but illinois sucks for off road areas without ending up in cuffs(been there too) its going to be used between me and the wife in fowl weather only so im looking cheap. the point of this post is to see if anyone has added/swapped the TOD transfer case into a rodeo before, or if its even worth it.

thanks in advance
ian

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
k2sb2003 said:
i know there are some purist on here who probably think TOD is a waste of time...however, i am looking at buying a suv...i like the rodeo and axiom alot. the problem is i want torque on demand because here(in chicago) snow, ice, and rain are most of what the truck will see...sorry to say...but illinois sucks for off road areas without ending up in cuffs(been there too) its going to be used between me and the wife in fowl weather only so im looking cheap. the point of this post is to see if anyone has added/swapped the TOD transfer case into a rodeo before, or if its even worth it.

thanks in advance
ian
Raining chickens ?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Welcome to the ZUU !

Someone will be along, eventually, with an answer to your question.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Physically it could be done, my main concern would be computer and wheelspin sensors, might be really a PITA.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
k2sb2003 said:
the point of this post is to see if anyone has added/swapped the TOD transfer case into a rodeo before, or if its even worth it.
Swapping TOD into a Rodeo would be a totally pointless affair - you can buy a very similar vehicle for the same price (Axiom) with TOD already installed on factory. All Axioms have factory TOD.

Look for the rare 2004 Axiom - it has DI engine and an Aisin transmission. 2004 year is the best year of all Axioms.

And in winter/rainy condition TOD works quite well.

Another advantage of a TOD vehicle is that it has a better transfer case (~2.5 ratio) than non-TOD vehicles (~2.0 ratio).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
fowl weather must hurt, but all jokes aside tod isn't that great, it can be very troublesome and very few people are able to work on it or even have the right tools to diagnose the problems, i'd stay away from it

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
tonnydoodles said:
fowl weather must hurt, but all jokes aside tod isn't that great, it can be very troublesome and very few people are able to work on it or even have the right tools to diagnose the problems, i'd stay away from it
I have to disagree. I had been skeptical myself about TOD - till I drove it. On the winter highways, it makes a huge difference. Axiom on mud tires with TOD behaves 100 times better on icy roads than Rodeo with winter snow-rated tires.

TOD is quite reliable. I have not heard many stories about TOD problems. The chances are that TOD, most probably, outlast the transmission itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts