Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving my 2000 trooper over graveled forest roads in AZ while in TOD, I heard a squealing noise. I Shut off the TOD and the noise went away. When I got outof the car, I noticed a strange smell.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Expand a little. What kind of smell - rubber?, electrical?, burnt fluid? Also, could you tell where the squeal was coming from? How many miles on your trooper? Did the squeal start/stop immediately upon engagement/disengagement, or only under strain? Does it squeal in 4Low as well? Does the TOD warning light come on?

I have a 2000 Trooper as well with a little over 100,000 miles, and fortunately have not had the problem you describe. Could it be something as simple as something rubbing against the front driveshaft? I've had a stick wedged in there before that made a scary sound until I just pulled it outa there. Throw out some more details and maybe we can figure it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to describe the smell: Maybe something between electrical and a rubber smell?
The noise was coming from the front. (I initally thought it was a rock caught between a disk break rotor and the gravel shield)
The noise went away as soon as I disengaged TOD.
Haven't tried it in 4 low.
No TOD warning light.
The noise appears when torque is transferred to the front wheels.
The car has 67000 miles on it.
Took it to the dealer and they took it on a test drive and couldn't duplicate the problem. I asked the service rep if the test was done on pavement or gravel. The car was run on pavement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most of this stuff you've probably already done, but I'll offer it anyway. First thing I would try to do is to eliminate some simple possibilities. Check for rub possibilities on the front driveshaft & front wheels. A little far fetched, but I would also check the serpentine belt to make sure it's at proper tension, just in case it was slipping under the extra strain. Next I would check to see if it makes the noise in 4Low, and try it again in TOD as well just to check it out.

Have you ever had the transmission checked or serviced? Is there any sign of a leak around the transmission and/or transfer case? How about the front differential? I would check the fluid level there as well while I was at it. I've never heard of a differential making the kind of noise you describe, but what the heck. Did the truck shutter or vibrate in any way while making the noise? Do you use the TOD often, or has it been some time since it was last used? Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
558 Posts
well in my 80 isuzu pickup i have had things like this happen. About the smell, had you run through any mud pudles or moist areas. Becouse mud on the exsaust will make a bad smell that seems like electrical stuff on fire. As far as the squeel, i have had rocks in my wheels make this. The rocks just rattle around in the wheels and hit the discs making noise. I would check for stuff rubbing on the yoke of the T-case and the front drive shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.