Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
We have just installed a fresh 2.6 in to my 89 Trooper and I am not sure how to know when the torque converter is installed correctly in the trani, I can see the connections on the trani and on the torque converter but I am not exactly sure on how to know if it is connected correctly. The problem started because I figured that if the torque converter came out with the engine then that was how it would be installed. I now know that I was a victim of incorrect thinking. I know I know r.t.f.m.

Any tips on breaking in a freshly rebuild engine.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Well, they way to install it is to unbolt it from the flex plate and side it into the transmission. Use some ATF on the outside of the torque converter nose. Carefully push back on the torque converter and turn until the torque converter seats into the pump. The bolt bosses on the torque converter should be close to flush with the face of the bell housing. Then bolt the transmission to the engine. You'll be able to install the torque converter bolts through the starter hole (remove the starter).

-Tad

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want to make sure you have the converter in all the way is measure from the end of the bell housing to the converter where the bolts go, then measure from the back of block to flywheel. For examlpe say you measure 1 1/2 inches on both measurements you are good to go. Good luck Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.