Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pull the front brakes from a '93 Rodeo, for my "BIG BRAKE" upgrade. I'm also considering pulling the brake booster and master cylinder. Since the Rodeo is in a remote spot I won't be able to make trips back to my garage for some tool I may have forgotten.

So, any suggestions as to what tools are special, or that I absolutely need, to pull rotors, calipers, booster, and master cylinder?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
When I pulled the rotors from my Rodeo, I needed 2 special tools that I didn't have:

Impact driver. when you get the hubs off (either auto or manual) there's that flat round piece with holes. It's held on by 3 fine screws. these suckers were really tough to get out. I used the impact driver to loosen them. Basically, it's a screwdriver you whack with a hammer. It was like $20 or so, I don't remember.

Here's a photo showing the round piece (from when I was having problems installing manual hubs due to spline damage):

Isuzu hub tool. I happen to have an 'official' Isuzu hub nut tool, but the job can be done without it. Just tap the holes with a punch or screwdriver and hit both sides and it will unscrew. It's the part you use the fish scale for, so it's not on there super tight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
PM sent

GB :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Tatohead said:
When I pulled the rotors from my Rodeo, I needed 2 special tools that I didn't have:

Impact driver. when you get the hubs off (either auto or manual) there's that flat round piece with holes. It's held on by 3 fine screws. these suckers were really tough to get out. I used the impact driver to loosen them. Basically, it's a screwdriver you whack with a hammer. It was like $20 or so, I don't remember.
THIS!! Those screws like to strip out and the impact driver will break them lose without stripping the heads. Either this or take a cordless drill and some bits just in case.

·
Registered
555 Posts
CatFuzz said:
Tatohead said:

THIS!! Those screws like to strip out and the impact driver will break them lose without stripping the heads. Either this or take a cordless drill and some bits just in case.
If you want to be fully prepared,bring every tool you can fit in whatever vehicle you go to the rodeo with. I do have to ask,why are you working on it in a remote location? Is it stuck there?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for that info Mr. Tatohead. After I posted I did a search and came up with a couple of threads mentioning the tool and the problematic screws. The moral? Search before asking, as it probably has already been talked about at some point.

I found a place to order the "special" tool but will take a drift and hammer with me if I don't get the tool before I do the deed. I also have a hand impact tool and with take that as well.

Ouch on those splines. I presume you got it worked out okay?

Tatohead said:

Here's a photo showing the round piece (from when I was having problems installing manual hubs due to spline damage):

Isuzu hub tool. I happen to have an 'official' Isuzu hub nut tool, but the job can be done without it. Just tap the holes with a punch or screwdriver and hit both sides and it will unscrew. It's the part you use the fish scale for, so it's not on there super tight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply and info, Mr. Catfuzz.

CatFuzz said:
Tatohead said:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Remote is the wrong word, and no it's not stuck, it's in a pick and pull yard. It's far enough away from my house that I want to be prepared. It's the Boy Scout in me. I usually bring more tools than I need, but in this case if any special tools were required I wanted to know in advance so I didn't forget them. In spite of the fact I take way more tools than I need, I invariably forget something important. Know what I mean?

mallen said:
CatFuzz said:
Tatohead said:

If you want to be fully prepared,bring every tool you can fit in whatever vehicle you go to the rodeo with. I do have to ask,why are you working on it in a remote location? Is it stuck there?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts