Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i took my 80 luv out wheeling. I must say it was fun, i saw a good sized wash out that almost ate the little truck. I was on three wheels for a good bit, so i had to be vary carefull. Then while crawling out the other side i ground out. I had to realy work at getting the truck out of it, but i got it out 8)
Heres a link to another board where the pics are posted...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/vie ... 9&forum=43

·
Registered
113 Posts
IFS sucks!

Sweet shot with the wheel in the air though :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no real offense, but i hate it when people just spout off how much IFS sucks. Whith minimal work Isuzu stuff works vary well. In the first pic you can see what it can do. Granted the droop on it isnt the greatest but i have 8" of travel out of it by pulling the sway bar and addind a spacer to the upper ball joint. It all comes down to driver. I have seen many jeeps needing to be towed out of that same hole(and some of them did the same thing i did and blew up rear ends).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry, it is an ongoing battle with the newer vs older trucks. I just came out of the Ford Ranger world where they went from the TTB IFS system (capable of 20") to SLA (basically the same as these) limited to around 10".

IFS isnot capable of the wheeling that I enjoy. One reason I got out of it, I needed to do a solid axle swap, or I wasn't going to be satisfied anymore :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry for the large picture:

And yes, I did get out of that by pulling forward :mrgreen:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know how the ford TTB works, i have an 82 f-150. IFS is definetly not as capable as a solid axle. But i like to see what i can do in a near stock rig, its more fun eisier on parts and more rewarding. Here soon im planning on running the rubicon in my trooper (just need some 33" tires, winch rock sliders and a rear locker). Thats real wheeling i think, just about anbody can drive through stuff in a rock buggy

·
Registered
113 Posts
mepr said:
yeah i know how the ford TTB works, i have an 82 f-150. IFS is definetly not as capable as a solid axle. But i like to see what i can do in a near stock rig, its more fun eisier on parts and more rewarding. Here soon im planning on running the rubicon in my trooper (just need some 33" tires, winch rock sliders and a rear locker). Thats real wheeling i think, just about anbody can drive through stuff in a rock buggy
Wheeling is 90% driver.

I am still pissed with myself that I never did the 'Con. I was going to this past summer, but ran out of time. I was then going to try this spring/summer, but then I sold it. I know she is capable, but I wanted to say I have been there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im new to the 4 wheeling world so i have a few questions and im sure that you will think they are newbie questions. First IFS is independent Front Suspension right?

What is a TTB IFS system?

What is TTB?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
jjs316 said:
What is a TTB IFS system?
Must be a Ford thing, so there can't be much to it..... :wink:

You are correct, IFS stands for Independent Front Suspension.
IRS is Independent Rear Suspension which is becoming quite common in the luxo SUVs.

You'll also see SAS which is Straight Axle Swap which is what the more hard-core crowd do with their IFS rigs.

Occasionally you also see CP Lift with is a kudos to Chris Perosi who basically devloped the basic rear shackle lift/torsion-bar crank lift for the IFS ISUZUs (3") several years ago.

I have no idea what TTB is except maybe "Top-To-Bottom"?

Cheers,

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ford TTb is realy wierd and cool. Imagine a solid axle. Now take and cut the housing in half and joint the axle shaft in the middle. The two halves of the axle tube/housing are then anchored to a crossmember on bushings. So its like an extremely long arm IFS set up. Then to controll the front to back motion of the axle there are radius arms. These are bolted to the axle and then come back about a foot to a mount on the frame, where they are bolted on whith bushings to alow for some movement. This set up in theory shoyuld flex realy well but it dosnt for some reason, what it excells at is soaking up bumps. This is a good front end for dessert running. It soaks up bumps, jumps and handles perty well. But its not that great for much else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.