Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck with a bad range selector on my 98 Rodeo 4X4.
I tryed to clean it today But all the little torx screwa are filled with rust. so I wanted to take the sensor out to work it on the workbench. here is my problem. I removed the short linkage between the wire and the shaft. I removed the 2 bolts that are holding the range sensor in place. According to the shop manual i can simply pull on the sensor to get it out. I pulled prett hard on on but it does not want to come out. Anybody can help me with that. Is there any kind of lock washer to remove???
Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a 99 Trooper so who knows how similar we are. Here goes on the chance it might help. I had the same - I thought I got all the bolts out and the switch was still stuck in place - moment. In my case though I had missed the bolt on top that I could only eventually feel and not see. I cannot remember though if there were three or only two bolts. Only other thing I can think of is the shift llinkage disconnect. I disconnected the nut right at the switch not at the top of the linkage (i.e. at the shifter rod end). Once these were undone, and the connectors unplugged, it came easily off.

You do want to get it out and work on it on a bench. Much easier to properly clean as well as get at the pesky torx? heads. Also, when you reassemble it the little rubber gasket around the edge of the housing would be tough to get to stay in place if not on a flat surface. Just be careful when you first open it up to make sure you know how it all goes back together.

FWIW I was not impressed with the design of the threads used by the shift arm nut at the switch. The bolt end does not have full circle threads. They seemed very prone to stripping. Not wanting to run this risk by overtightening the nut (nor have the arm come undone) I added an extra nut as a stopper. May be overkill but seemed like cheap insurance to me.

Lastly I had thought about siliconing the outside of the housing to make sure no water could get in. In the end I didn't. I thought the problem was not caused by water intrusion but by heat and the quality/quantity of the grease originally put in the switch. I was concerned that I might have to open it up again in a couple of years and that any silicone sealant would make that more difficult. So far so good but it will take a few more years to see if I was right.

Just my hopefully helpful $.02.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick repply.
I am 100% sure there is no more bolt holding it in place since i can rotate the sensor manually. it is loose on the shaft but does not want to come out. i Can`t see which part of the sensor will separate from the shaft. is the white plastic that is moving with the shaft going to sta on the shaft or should it come with the sensor. is there a clip or is it just a "slip on" desing. I think all I can do is to put everything back togeher and buy a new one cause trying to get the sensor off will probably kill it...

Oh lucky you that are living in those warm regions of the globe where roads are not overly spread with calcium and salt. Rust rust rust in few years my truck will probably be a solid block of rust.

·
Registered
286 Posts
V2 said:
Oh lucky you that are living in those warm regions of the globe where roads are not overly spread with calcium and salt. Rust rust rust in few years my truck will probably be a solid block of rust.
I am in the same boat as you V2. Good ole Nova Scotia, home of the salty roads. I will be por-15'in my whole frams come summer. At least try and get a few extra years out of the ole Trooper.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If it rotates in place you clearly have all the outer bolts out. Only other thing is the nut on the bolt going through the unit. Once that is gone the only thing I can think of is that the bolt/shaft area has something "gluing" it in place. Got any good salt/rust/general gunk remover you can spray in there? Maybe CLR??? Make sure anything you try is safe for plastic (and maybe electronics on the oft chance it could get inside the housing).

I do not remember anything staying on the shaft. Could be my memory is faulty and/or that a Trooper is different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep that sticky stuff is called rust...
the shaft is rusted so bad that it got bigger.
I sprayed some stuff on it and let it sit for 1 night but there is nothing to do. I will have to destroy it to get it out.

By the way that bolt at the end of the shaft was so rusted that it snapped off...
Yes sir, When I first tryed to unscew it, it did not wanted to move at all. So I try to heat it up (I kept the flame very short flame, took extreme precaution not to cook anything around)
It did help me for probably 1/2 turn then the threaded part of the shaft snaped off. great fun...
It took me hours to drill and tap. but it works now...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much for a new range sensor?
My local Isuzu stealership (Saturn-saab du saguenay...)
is asking 538$ canadian... no way I will pay that kid of money.
Would that sensor be available from anybody else than Isuzu-Gm?
How much is the dealer price in your area?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
70 Posts
To buy, ship and pay all duties from St.Charles in St. Louis Mis. to Toronto cost me $202.00 Canadian, Total.

You will probalbly have to add more for the added distance.

St. Charles Isuzu's number is in the Faq. Give them a call.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.