Votes: 15 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 10 40.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about welding up the rear before my next offroad adventure next week. I have the front welded currently and love it. I don't drive her on the street much (maybe 1-2 times a month) so I'm not too worried about that. Keeping with the "budget" nature of my toy, I'm leaning toward welding it over a locker, plus I had it in some deep stuff last week and my normally "tight" posi left me with only the right rear moving (had a broken right front shaft at the time so I was 2 wheel drive at that point). Watcha guys think?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I'm not sure if I am even going to keep this axle in the future so I don't see spending close to $400 on the posi-version lunchbox locker or buying an open carrier and doing an aussie. It gets trailered to the wheeling spots anyways, (figure I have a truck and trailer to tow it with, no point in driving it in case I break something) unless it's something just down the street. I drive it to town every now and then but that's 95% highway. Anyone have a picture of the Isuzu posi D44 carrier?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Weld it, but make it a pretty weld.:D

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, as long as it holds I don't care what it will look like haha. I'll make it pretty just for you though

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
RamAirZ said:
LOL, as long as it holds I don't care what it will look like haha. I'll make it pretty just for you though
You're a good man. We should always do our best.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I welded my 91 amigo rear end .... Drove it everyday to work handled fine and I always had predictable traction... The first time around I welded it kinda lite and one small chunk spit and lodge between the ring gear and carrier. I trailered it to work not knowing what happened. Found that welded it more and never had another problem. Only suggestion would be is to plate (incase) the spiders, so in the event off breakage the mess is contained lol !!!!

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya thats what I did on my front carrier, I welded plates in. I also welded the crap out of it and its holding great so far. My only concern if I drove it everyday would be the increased wear on my swampers but I dont have that to worry about. And shooter, sometimes the best isnt always the prettiest haha. With the welder I used last time I spent alot of time concentrating on penetration because it was a smaller welder. My new one shouldn't have to difficult a time welding so it should "look" better, even though it won't be seen when its installed :evil:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Man, steering must be a workout with the front welded...

If it is a trailer queen then sure, weld the rear.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I definitely went through tires quicker. But at the time I was going out almost every weekend. How do you guys like having the ifs welded up front ??? Mine was ok but pita to turn. Backing up it liked to turn and stay turned lol !!!! But holly hell going up a trail made ya just grin :)

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mind it welded up front at all. In high range it's not too bad, low range it gets a pita at slow speeds. For the most part I unlock one hub while riding around and doing "easy" stuff. When I get to the more challenging stuff I lock it in. And I wouldn't call it a trailer queen, I just don't drive it that often and when I go on my wheeling trips I figure why drive it if I have the means to trailer it. Drive is more comfortable and I don't have to worry about taking it easy when I'm out there, trailer has a winch so I'll literally drive it till the wheels fall off then drag it on the trailer :lol: I take the kids out in it every once in awhile and I take it to work sometimes too, it gets about 100-150 miles a month or so :lol:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I give her hell for sure, I have about $1300 or so invested in it so I'm not too worried about beating on her. My last 2 Zu's were really nice and my DD's, and at times it made me a little skiddish on some things, so this time around I made sure to get something cheap and as a 2nd vehicle so it doesn't matter if I beat on it. It's

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the Isuzu posi D44 carrier?
I have one in my garage I could snap a pic tomorrow? I got a used open carrier and used aussie locker but if you trailer it I would weld

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
RamAirZ said:
I don't mind it welded up front at all. In high range it's not too bad, low range it gets a pita at slow speeds.
\

There are a couple of places in Moab where you would have a difficult time due to the high traction sandstone...like the Wall on Gold Bar Rim trail, as soon as you climb the 6' wall you must immediately turn hard right. Believe me, with the front locked it is durn near impossible to turn that sharp.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
if you are going to do it... make sure you do it right!

·
Registered
268 Posts
dman4486 said:
if you are going to do it... make sure you do it right!

This cracked me up!

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigSwede said:
RamAirZ said:
I don't mind it welded up front at all. In high range it's not too bad, low range it gets a pita at slow speeds.
\

There are a couple of places in Moab where you would have a difficult time due to the high traction sandstone...like the Wall on Gold Bar Rim trail, as soon as you climb the 6' wall you must immediately turn hard right. Believe me, with the front locked it is durn near impossible to turn that sharp.
Oh I'm sure I would. I've had to muscle it a few times around here but for the most part it hasn't been so bad. Once I get a little crazier with it she will get real lockers front and rear, I've just been building it for a cheap trail toy for now to play with what I have.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts