Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires do best on sand? I had Bridgestone Dueler M/Ts and even though everyone told me mud terrains would not do well on sand, they were great. Went to BFG ATs when I needed to replace the M/Ts, but seems new ATs have less bite on sand than 50% worn M/Ts?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
It's not really about having traction in the sand as much as it is staying on top of the sand, ie not digging. Airing down is one good thing to do on sand to get a bit wider contact patch.

If you are going to replace your tires you would want as wide a tire as you can fit. Here wider IS better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
the wideness makes a diff...

i saw in land rover mag, that some compaies sell 'spacers' ..that let you put on wider tires..

btw, that same magazine showed a conversion to 6x6...!!! (stretch limo company could do this) !!

·
Registered
825 Posts
as others have mentioned, sand traction is more heavily reliant on the floatation given by the tire, the tread pattern has less of an effect here. Generally, mud tires are wider, or at least have more effective floatation because of the large side-wall lugs (if same width)...

look for tires 12.5 inches or wider if you can fit them... a taller tire will also increase the contact patch, so basically, the bigger the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.