Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will have to replace tires soon on a 96 Isuzu Trooper. Does anybody have any good tire reccomendations. I want an aggressive tread, mostly for looks but also for function. I like the look of Mud Terrains.

Kumho has a new tire (Venture M/T) which is supposed to be really really good but they don't make many sizes, especially in for a 16in. rim. They are also supposed to be very affordable (approx. 100 per tire).

So what a good looking, good performing, not crazy noisy, relativly inexpensive tire? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I replaced the rumbling, vibrating, sorry, Bridgestones on my 2001 with Michelin Select LT's from Walmart. $529.00 out the door. They are fanatastic tires!!! They are smooth as glass, have good all around traction and are great in the rain. I have already put several thousand miles on mine and they show virtually no signs of irregular wear at all. They are wearing so evenly that I haven't even had to rotate them. I keep looking but the front's still look just like the back.

·
Registered
192 Posts
For stock replacements, I would def. recommend the Bridgestone Dueler REVO ATs. They are better than the stock trail tires with great snow traction even at full tire pressure. The REVOs are quiet for an AT tire too. With these tires, there is almost no reason to buy a trail type tire when you can get a better off-road tire with great street maners. Plus they look cool. The reason people will still buy a trail tire is that the REVOs are alittle pricey but atleast they are still cheaper than the BFG ATs.

As for MTs, I had a set of BFGs MTs on my 89 Trooper but they were not too good in the snow(was not sipped). Noisy on the street too but seems to wear well though. Very Pricey but a great off-road tire.

Those BFG MTs came with the truck but if I had to use my own money, I would consider the Kumho MTs cause they have a great price point plus have some good reviews at tirerack.com. But since my trucks are daily drivers, I'm sticking with AT tires.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bridgestone also makes a kick-*** Dueller Mud Terrain! Also, little blue-I don't know if you have a Costco with a Tire Center where you live, but they carry a pretty large selection of ATs, MTs as well as standard passenger car tires at much more reasonable prices than your average tire shop. (I got my Dueller MTs there) If you look at www.Costco.com, under tires, you may find what your looking for, at a price that won't make you cringe when you get your estimate. If you don't have a Costco nearby.... never mind :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
WANT A DEAL?? Try this, in the NC area I live in (I think this is really everywhere) I have found that one can check around a few NON company owned inpent. tire dealer I find deals on FIRESTONE Wilderness tires, take-offs. People are afraid they are getting the tire that makes Ford Explors. suddenly turn over (media really done that one up!) I have paided no more than $100.00 a set installed as some dealers have so many in 265/75-16's, that look great on a Trooper, can fit Rodeo's-early models, one will find 245's too. I have to say that these tires ride great and the set's I bought STILL had the nips on them! Take advantage of this if you are looking for a deal, and these are not even the tire that was in qustion, these are the newer Wilderness. Anyway felt like it was worth posting.

PS I am looking for a 4banger/man. trans 2.2 Rodeo, email me sellers!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMHO, if aggressive looks, good street manners and rubber that wears incredibly well-So well, they might even outlast your rig-- BFG MT's are probably your best choice-and I'll tell you why. Pick up just about any four wheeling magazine (does'nt matter which) and look at what the majority of rigs (rock climbers, mud boggers as well as the civilian trail rigs) are running. A conservative guesstimate on my part would be about 70 to 80% are sporting BFG MTs. I am currently running B-Stone Dueller MTs (and love them by the way) but I have run BFGs on most of my previous 4Xs, and except for the (some say, beautiful mud terrain "hum") on asphalt, you'd be AWFULLY hard pressed to find a better on-off-road tire! Aside from the all-around capability these tires are known for, (For a LONG time now) they wear like crazy!! So if you decide to go with the BFG MTs, make darn sure they are the size, type (LT, Flotation, etc.) and style you want!-Cuz once they're on there, they'll be there a heck-of-a LONG time! Oh, and as far as price goes, you can certainly buy cheaper (Price & quality-wise) tires, but what good is that, if you end up buying one set, then a second all in the same time frame your First set of BFGs are still rolling! Just something to think about. And bear in mind, I'm not even running BFGs on my current rig! I personnaly like/need the road handling characteristics of my Duellers-(A little softer compound=excellent handling in the rain; we get well over 200 inches a year where I live!) But if I was doing more wheeling in a little dryer climes, I would definately go back to BFG's. Heck, the looks alone are worth the price of admission if aggresive tread design is one of your deciding factors! Hope this two cents helps :D Good luck brother, and Aloha! 8)

Toddz/HI

·
Registered
175 Posts
My $.02 would suggest Firestone's Destination MT's. I have had these on my 93 Trooper for about six months now and really enjoy them. I went from BFG MTs to these and think the Firestone is superior to the BFG. The Firestone is more quiet on the road and rides well on road. I have only had them off road in the sand and mud, but they performed very well. The topper for me was that in 265's they are $35 cheaper per tire than the BFGs.....

Check out www.tirerack.com for a complete listing of tires and customer reviews of each..... Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just called The Tire Rack (tirerack.com) the other day and got a price on 8 Firstone Firehawks for $642 at my doorstep. :D Includes road hazard warranty and shipping. $130 less than the cheapest quote I got locally. Give them a try, they may have what you are looking for at a lower price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/dynamic/rt01at/zoom.html

Check those out. I think Fourwheel mag had a tire review for April's mag. They reviewed the REVO AT and that Hankook MT tire as well as a few others. Gave a good review on the hankook MT.

BTW, Chuck's Trucks did a tire review and his Isuzu Hombre was in the mag as well.

Con

·
Registered
79 Posts
93RS-also has a good point. If you look up www.tirerack.com, you'll see, along with size, specs and styles, a review on each category per tire; wet handling, noise, wear, price etc: and as far as MTs go, the Firestone Destination MT, gets the highest ratings overall. According to their numbers, the Destinations are the Top Dog. You might want to check out that web site-There is alot of useful info there for helping you to make a choice as to the type of tire which best suits your needs. They only carry a limited number of makes, however, No S-Swampers, Thornbirds, M. Thompsons and a few others. I think they only include the best selling tire brands, but Tirerack would be, at the very least, a good place to start your research for your new tires... Hope this helps. Good Luck! :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah tirerack is a good site, especially for the customer reviews. I've looked into the firestone, bf goodrich, etc. but most of those are very pricey tires.

For now, I think I'm going to go w/ the Dunlops as they have a pretty good rating and aren't too expensive. My top choise would be those kumho's though. If only tirerack had a 285. You can do a search on google and there is a great review of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just did a search at Costco.com and Dueller ATs-285/75/16s price out at $134.00 ea. Pretty tough to beat, but if you have your heart set on MTs, I guess this does'nt matter. Oh well :(

G

·
I just bought a set of 245/70 16 Michelin Cross Terrains for my 98 at Costco for a total of 650. These are the highest rated on tirerack and they were rated high for quietness..I guess by those who lost hearing.

These tires are premium priced but they whine at highway speeds. It is rated for 60K miles but if I ever get to that, I will go back to Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls for a cheaper price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.