Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to plan a trip to the NJ Pine Barrens, and it'll be my first time off-roading (not including fooling around in empty lots)
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, good things to bring, good things to know, etc?

My troop has brand new BFG A/T's so in that area I think I'm good, and while it is stock height I think it's ok for now...
I will be installing a cb soon, and my buddy who is coming with me is installing one in his heep...
He wants to get a hi-lift, which I think is a good idea
Any other essentials?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Tow/Pull straps (without hooks), 3/4" D-ring shackles to use with the straps, basic tools, some electrical wire, tape, a ratchet strap or 2, jumper cables. That should get ya started. Always good to have those things on the trail, never know what is going to break. You can get creative at patching things together with that stuff. Dont forget food and water. I always have LOTS of water (usually a case of bottles), some granola bars or trail mix to munch on, and something for lunch.

Be aware that AT tires SUCK in mud so try to avoid deep mud holes.Some mud is ok though. Dont get too happy with the gas pedal. CVs tend to snap if you get a front tire spinning in the air too much then it suddenly hits ground and gets a load.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Shovel, Kitty Litter <several pounds>, basic first aid kit, random essentials <read, tent, water, food, clothes, ect.. something to make a fire with..) read up on airing down your PSI depending on the terrain, chainsaw/axe to clear the trail if needed or the create a "path" over mud if needed, a decent gps or map and make sure somebody else knows where you are going! Have fun and post pics!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I appreciate it!

Further questions...
1) Whats the advantage of tow straps without the shackles on them?
2) I want to try my hardest to respect the environment when I'm there, and I'm hesitant to pour kitty litter all over the ground for traction (I'm assuming that's what it's for) Is there a more eco-friendly alternative?
3) We are thinking of going there over night, so it got me thinking about two days of driving around and how thirsty the troop is... What are peoples experiences with fuel usage? What should I do about it? I really don't have a good spot outside the truck for a Jerry can...

That's all for now thanks guys!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Kitty litter goes away, don't worry bout that.

Strap without hooks so it doesn't kill people as easy when you snatch on it when you are pulling out the jeep and it breaks. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside force. Some guy named newton says it's true so might want to follow that one.

Hi lift jacks are awesome. I use mine all the time. Can do anything with them.

Be sure to bring at least one BFH. Some sort of pry bar is always good. And my favorite are Ty wraps. I'd tell you why you might need them but if I have to tell you those things just stay home.

I wheeled three days at URE on a tank of gas and that was a lot of running. Just gotta be mindful.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. About a six foot piece of good chain. Don't gotta be half inch either. Don't really know why but it always seems that a six foot piece with hooks on both ends is always handy in the weirdest off road situations. Like snatching a tree off the trail comes to mind. Wear your strap out dragging something on the ground.

Billy

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
Thanks I appreciate it!

Further questions...
1) Whats the advantage of tow straps without the shackles on them?
You can put whatever shackles or hooks or whatever you want, on them. If you haven't taken the hook off of your vehicle, then you don't need a shackle or anything else, anyway
2) I want to try my hardest to respect the environment when I'm there, and I'm hesitant to pour kitty litter all over the ground for traction (I'm assuming that's what it's for) Is there a more eco-friendly alternative?
The cheapest "non-scoopable" kitty litter is essentially just clay.
3) We are thinking of going there over night, so it got me thinking about two days of driving around and how thirsty the troop is... What are peoples experiences with fuel usage? What should I do about it? I really don't have a good spot outside the truck for a Jerry can...
Take advantage of the opportunity, and Make a good spot outside for the jerry can. :wink:
That's all for now thanks guys!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Not a very clear pic but should give you the idea. This is what can happen with tow straps with hooks. Notice it goes all the way through and ended up on the ground in back of the jeep.

With a shackle it stays attached to the vehicle and doesnt become a projectile.

I havent run out of gas yet but have gotten a bit low. I always have some gas with me on my roof rack though for long trips and camping. I've had others use it a couple times.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good pic Gizmo. Exactly what I was trying to get across.

Billy

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Fuel consumption depends on the engine. I can wheel 10 fours in low range on 1/4 tank of gas with my 1st gen 2.6. Treading lightly of course.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, it's all clear now! Thanks so much all!

And I do not have a 1st gen, and im planning on avoiding the puddles as much as I can, as i don't want get swamped and I've read some pine barren mud puddle horror stories...

So, armed with this new info I can go lose my wheeling virginity with confidence!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Camra shoot lots of pics

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
:walk:

Remember, w/o pics it DIDN"T happen.. lol.. Have fun!

PS, as far as KittyLitter goes, the cheap stuff is JUST clay, biodegrades easily. I"m a conservationist, recycle EVERYTHING, and always leave every place I wheel cleaner than it was when I arrived. :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts