Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88 Trooper 2.6L
I'm in CA, and the sticker under the hood says to set my timing at 12 degrees BTDC.
Is this so far advanced because of the smog nonsense in CA, or do all of you other-staters have the same thing.
It seems to me that my old VW Bug was either right at TDC or maybe no more than 5 before, and I would think that even an 88 Trooper could combust more quickly than a 71 Bug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beats me but I had a late model Mustang that was about 12 degrees of timing and could go to around 15 pretty easily. I don't think it has anything to do with emissions requirements.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
um, yeah...except the thing is that it does. the more advanced the timing is, the more feul gets burned before going into the exhaust. but there's gotta be a point where too much advance is just too much. so i was wondering if somebody else has a trooper from another state and maybe their sticker says to go, i dunno, maybe 5 BTDC for example, and maybe that runs better (but i'd rather not just set mine at that and see something bad happen). that's why i was asking.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Every engine has its own needs for timing advance depending on its combustion chamber shape/design and a myriad of other factors.

Retarding the timing from factory recommended settings will decrease power, likely increase emissions, and cause the engine to run hotter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too much advance will cause detonation. Too little and it won't run well either. Why the concern? I'm saying that it isn't unheard of for an engine to run with 12 degrees of timing. If that's what Isuzu recommends then that is what I would go with.

I could go check my Rodeo if you like. It was purchased in Florida and would not have the same emissions requirements as a CA car (although, I really don't think there is much difference).

·
Registered
558 Posts
my 90 2.6 calls for 12* BTDC. More advance timing causes more complete combustion, thus a cleaner running motor thus more power. I was looking through my service manual and it calls for 12* as well. I would go whith what the factory calls for, engineers usually know what they are doing :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. i was just curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts