Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 Trooper 2.6 installed new head and new timing belt all timing marks are properly aligned when I go to set the timing I can not set it to the recommeneded 12 deg. have moved dist. a tooth either way checked to make sure the belt is right at least 4 times any help or ideas!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Why can't you set it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No matter where I set the dist. I run out of adjustment, thinking maybe a bad dist or something electronic. closest I can get is 8 deg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is everything that has already been done,my next guess may be that the cam in new head was different, or possibly something electronic is bad.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
How sure are you that you actually moved the distributor gear a tooth, and it didn't go back in the same position?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
What did you mark, exactly?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Ideally, the slot of the distributor hold down / adjustment should be centered on the bolt; same amount of space to the left and to the right. If the cam / crank timing pulleys are perfectly aligned with their corresponding match marks and the rotor is dead on to the #4 electrode (INSIDE the DIZZY), the adjustment slot will be centered and the 2.6L will be timed at 12* BTDC. If you're off a tooth on the dizzy / rotor adjustment, there will still be plenty of room for adjustment. Have you checked the alignment of the cam / crank timing sprockets to their corresponding match marks when the #4 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke? You didn't happen to time it on the #1 cylinder did you? If so, it's 180* out and can be resolved either the correct cylinder or by swapping plug wires to opposing cylinders.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you check the marks on the crank pully? They can slip position. If you used the marks on the crank shaft and cam to do the belt it could be right and the marks on the pully could be off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts