Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Planet!

What I have is my '98 Rodeo, 3.2L DOHC v6, and I'm wonderin is timing adjustable for these engines? If so how do I do it?

Reason I'm askin is, I'm fixin to roll 160,000 miles on the factory engine and I want her to keep goin for a long time. I've taken great care of my Rodeo since I've had it, and one day I have big plans for it.

Also, as far as "routine maintenance" is concerned, what all would yall suggest? Obviously oil & filter, plugs, air filter, PCV valve, clean the EGR tube, and change the fuel filter are big things, but what else do yall recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buster, I had a feeling of this. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
do a timing belt job.

·
Registered
677 Posts
2x's what medic said, and while you got the front of the engine open, replace the water pump. Nothing worse than tearing it down for the timing belt only to have to take it apart again later for the water pump.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnnie59 said:
2x's what medic said, and while you got the front of the engine open, replace the water pump. Nothing worse than tearing it down for the timing belt only to have to take it apart again later for the water pump.
I'm not sure when I "need" to change the belt and all that. I'm less than 100 miles from rolling 160,000 and the truck runs fine. I'd rather not "run it till it breaks", but then again I don't want to fix something that aint broke.

I'm well aware I should change the water pump, timing belt, and the timing tensioner assembly all at once. Is there anything special I should know about changing these, or is is just as simple as take it apart, replace the parts, and put it back together?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
You want to change your timing belt about every 60k miles, IIRC.

Ask black98rodeo what happened to his gen 2 3.2 when the belt went :wink:

long story short a new engine was installed. :shock:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
95Rodeo4x4 said:
You want to change your timing belt about every 60k miles, IIRC.

Ask black98rodeo what happened to his gen 2 3.2 when the belt went :wink:

long story short a new engine was installed. :shock:
A new engine!? I thought the 3.2 DOHC is a non-interference motor? I hope black98rodeo chimes in on this thread to fill the Planet in with that story.

And 60k miles? Wow, as I pick my jaw up off the floor...I reckon I need to get on that ASAP less I destroy a perfectly good piece of equipment like my Rodeo. Can't have that happenin.

Thanks for the insight!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.