·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It's really a crap shoot these days ordering online. Used to be that Gates or Aisin kits were the way to go, but I think Gates has been using Chinese bearings lately. Those are the things most likely to fail in a timing kit. Haven't heard anything bad about DNJ, but I always look for Aisin for Asian vehicles if it's available. They were probably the OEM.

Reactions: Broox

·
Registered
408 Posts
the pump may also only need a gasket...(those are cheap too in newer kits). Gates claims to be premium while bundling with cheap pumps. Rock auto usually has the diff pumps listed so you can make your own 'kit' and at least avoid the uber cheap ones. Continental is the new name for goodyear belts.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
As Gwana said - make SURE it is an Aisin water pump. Many of the cheapie (Chicom) kits say Aisin, but fine print says replacement. I would still trust Gates. Worst case scenario - get a gates belt, Aisin pump, and Autozone idler pulley(S). Dennis

·
Registered
477 Posts
Napa auto parts has their Napa Gold line of parts that are just as good as originals and not expensive. This is my go to brand for 25 years and my main supplier for my auto shop. I have never had a issue with them. I would not advise using anything less

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes its most likely the water pump leaking. I used the Kit by Gates on 2 trucks Rodeo 3.2L without issues. Yes do the belt while you are in there. You may want to replace the 2 inner rubber - yes rubber - water manifold o rings and gasket. They get brittle with the heat and can leak too.

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts