Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. just thought I'd join the fun. Looks like a great site.
We have owned a 92 trooper for ovaer 3 years without any problems.
I feel its time 108k to do a timing belt and wanted the list to chime in on any hidden features I should be aware of.
I have a Chilton manual and will follow that based on suggestions.
----------------
The second question would regard my Power Steering gear on the Trooper. It has a slow leak wich is mostly bothersome and does not effect the vehicle.
Has anyone done the lower shaft seal repair (where pitman attaches)
I have done chevy and saginaw but thought I would see if the BB has had any experience.
Thanksin Advance.
Bennett

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just finished doing a rebuild whith a Chiltons manual and it gave all the info i needed. Just be carful and take your time. As far as the steering pump goes. I have no experience whith that, but if you have done the repair on a Chevy this will be fundementally the same. Just read up on the procedure in the shop manaul! Good luck! :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
while your in there i see no reason not to. Whith my trooper the tensioner probly would have been good, but i just put in a new one for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mepr posts good advice, take your time, mark everything, and be thorough.

On the subject of the timing belt changeout, it's generally a good idea that whatever accessories are behind the timing cover be changed out as part of a total refurb.

For instance, I'm preparing to change my wife's Honda Accord timing belt. The Accord water pump is behind the timing belt cover and the only part exposed is the pulley - so the water pump gets changed.

The tensioner or idler pulley is part of that changeout philosophy, along with the bolt it spins on and also the tensioner spring if it has one.

I can't remember what accessories are buried on your motor but with it facing to the front it shouldn't be as bad as the FWD Accord. You may find it easier to remove the radiator to create more elbow room.

I would highly recommend you purchase the full service manual for your vehicle if you plan to wrench on your ride regularly, as a primary reference to accommodate Chilton or Hayne's: http://www.helminc.com
(ISUZU publisher)

I do recommend going OEM ISUZU parts for timing refurb issues wherever possible - may be more expensive, but it's worth the peace of mind with something as important as timing.

Most in the know use St. Charles ISUZU in MO - very customer friendly, and best of all, free shipping :D
(Ask for Merlin - the ISUZU God :D )

http://www.stcharlesauto.com/

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 7:30AM - 6:00PM
Saturday 9:00AM - 1:00PM
Sunday Closed

Department Contact
Toll Free: 800-727-8066
Phone: 636-441-4481

STEERING issue: I'm not sure, but I think ISUZU used the same gearbox for the '92s as the '91s. I've replaced that seal - the Sector Shaft lower seal. The Sector shaft is the one that runs the length of the box top to bottom that interfaces with the worm gear that's attached to the steering wheel shaft.

It's a PITA and can only be done by totally removing the gearbox and disassembling the entire assembly..... :cry: The good news is that ISUZU makes a rebuild kit specifically for the gear boxes, so you buy the kit and replace all the seals at one time. It seems like I remember it was a whopping $8 or something for the seal kit (St. Charles). The aforementioned Helm manual has a specific procedure for this rebuild. I had NEVER done anything like that and with the Helm did it without too much trouble and that was close to ~6-8 years ago and still no leaks. Of course, I had to play with the adjusting bolt on top a bit to get the steering-wheel play right but it was a good learning experience.

Good Luck

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.