Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone survived the holidays and had fun. Have a question about steering columns. My 94 Rodeo doesn't have a tilt column, and I don't know if it was an option before the Honda style dash came out in the 95.5 models. Will the steering column from the newer dash style swap into my 94? I'm mostly interested in using the ignition cylinder so I can use one key for all the doors/hatch and the ignition. I swapped the doors/hatch to cylinders from a 96 Passport, but discovered the ignition cylinders are configured differently, and use a different key. I have pictures if anyone is interested. So, for $75 I can get a complete tilt column, with the correct ignition cylinder, just would like to be certain it will swap okay before spending time and $$ on it.
thanks

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You'd have to pull the plastic and or chace the plug in's to see if there the same. The newer ones not rack and pinion yet so it should be fine there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My wife's '95 Passport (build 12/94) has tilt, so it was an option with that interior.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I did some research at a JY today and looks like you're correct. Looks like I'll be pulling a steering column soon. All because of my OCD need to have all the locks match one key.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 94 Rodeo has a tilt steering column. Are you sure you looked in the right place? The lever is a big black tab underneath the steering column. You gotta feel for it rather than look for it, or else stick your head down in the footspace and look up. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bradzuzu said:
Oh and it's funny you blame your lust on OCD ism lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yeah, my wife doesn't believe it either. gotta come up with some new excuses :drunken:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rodeomonkey said:
My 94 Rodeo has a tilt steering column. Are you sure you looked in the right place? The lever is a big black tab underneath the steering column. You gotta feel for it rather than look for it, or else stick your head down in the footspace and look up. :D
I'll go contort my aging body under the steering wheel and look again. WHen I looked before the opening is there, but I couldn't see a lever of any type in there. Could have been removed by a PO.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
definitely NOT tilt column. If I could find a same year rodeo with the key in it at a JY i'd go that route, but most of them have extremely worn keys so I'll def go with the newer unit. :blackeye:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ah, I guess you have the "S" model. According to the vehicle specs on edmonds.com, "S" models had no tilt steering as standard and it was not available as an option. But the LS models were fitted with tilt steering as standard.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That's crazy that they would opt to take that out. Almost all of them have the darn tilt. So why do you want the tilt so bad ??? Are you thinking about drive in movies with your wife.... :shock: :idea: I know I'm bad !!!

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
ok, 88-95 tilt columns fit, 95.5-97 dont. the switch mount positions are different as well as the surround cover mounting points with the ignition switch holder...quick answer, need a 88-95 tilt column.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You know I have one of my old amigo tilt colums in my attic lol... It's a 92 good key and all. I think I saved the door locks also !! Now if I could just fit it into a box :)....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lowzone said:
ok, 88-95 tilt columns fit, 95.5-97 dont. the switch mount positions are different as well as the surround cover mounting points with the ignition switch holder...quick answer, need a 88-95 tilt column.
hey, thanks for the info! i wasn't able to find that

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bradzuzu said:
You know I have one of my old amigo tilt colums in my attic lol... It's a 92 good key and all. I think I saved the door locks also !! Now if I could just fit it into a box :)....
man, why is washington on the other side of the atlantic! shipping would be astronomical

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bradzuzu said:
That's crazy that they would opt to take that out. Almost all of them have the darn tilt. So why do you want the tilt so bad ??? Are you thinking about drive in movies with your wife.... :shock: :idea: I know I'm bad !!!
Hah! she'd like that. I would like the tilt so I can fit my legs under the steering wheel when I've got my high heels on.( enjoy the mental image for a while :oops: ) I mean when I have my snow boots on. I'm 6'1"-not overly tall, but these things weren't built for larger individuals. The tilt column is actually secondary. I took the door and tailgate locks from a 95.5 because my originals were shot, but discovered that the ignition cylinder is different than my 94. I was pondering solving the issue if the steering column from the 95.5 would install in my 94, so I'd have one key for all the locks. The tilt feature is just nice, and the donor vehicle has a tilt column already. I know, stupid is as stupid does... my brother was the valedictorian, not me :blackeye: anyhow, even with the model differences, I'm going to try the swap. The wiring issues are unimportant because I will just use my originals, and the covers will fit fine-already scoped it out the other day. and I'll have a steering wheel with an airbag!! nonfunctioning of course. or I'll just swap in my 94 wheel. go ahead and roll your eyes and snicker while you can. when I get it to work everyone will be jealous.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So where do you live ??? Utah ?? I just mailed out a set of ome coils for $31.00 ...to Ohio .. You draw a funny picture lol...
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor Dude !!! Keeps things how you say ,,,,, rockin !!....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts