Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help. i don't want this to be the end of my trooper, (4cyl/5spd/1990) but i am fearing the worst. when i got home from a 100 mile drive last night i was hearing a lot of thumping up front, like a helicopter sound, and the thumping went faster when i stepped on the gas. i didn't hear it when driving with windows closed but i sure did find out when i got off the interstate! it did this in neutral/stopped and also when in gear/moving. today i started it up and went just out of the garage, heard a clanking sound (as if somebody put flatware in my engine) as well as the thumping, both more and louder when i stepped on the gas. i did not drive it, just left it in my garage to wait for further suggestions.

the oil was changed 2 wks ago, the oil pressure is indicating normally, and there is oil registering on the dipstick (but it appears a little foamy/bubbly and i don't know if that's related). i didn't notice any problems in acceleration etc when i was coming home last night, but i did see it is idling lower than usual (almost to the point of shutting off). nothing is dripping, and it's not smoking.

i don't want to get another truck, i like this one, but i don't know what i'm in for with these sounds, and i'm afraid to drive it anyplace. before taking it to repair shop (not ready to spend thousands on a truck with 178K), i'm curious what you folks think.

heidi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was the oil overfull on the dipstick or in the safe area? You'll really need someone to listen to it, it could be anything from a bad bearing/rod to a problem with the drive belts. Reason I mention oil being overfilled, if it was over filled this can cause the oil to foam and bearings will loose lubrication.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the oil was registering normal on the dipstick, above the add area but just below the full area. we did the oil change and i have big note in glovebox telling how much to put in, so i know we are okay there.

my dad's gonna listen to it on monday and decide if i should drive it or tow it to repair shop... i'm just hoping it is a repairable thing not "need new engine". will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, Dad thought the problem is with the throttle body (whatever that is) because it sounded like the most of the thunking was coming from there... BUT the repair shop we drove it to after listening said "a rod" and apparently that is a bad thing.

SO... you will probably be seeing my truck in the for sale postings, as soon as i figure out what i should ask for it (as-is, for fixit project or as parts).

meanwhile, i have my eye on a 98 amigo.

heidi

·
Registered
558 Posts
My brothers Toyota just chucked a water pump and it sounded like the engine had thrown a rod and the world had come to end for it. Just as insurance take all your accsesory belts off and turn and shake all the pullies. If one of makes noise or wont turn vary easy, that could be your problem. As far as foamy oil, are you low on coolant?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go under the vehicle and wiggle the drive shafts at the universal joints. Sounds to me like you lost the bearings in one of the yokes.

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry to disappoint you guys, but apparently it's really inside the engine... it makes the knocking sound it whether moving or sitting still, and my dad did make sure the belt-related stuff is happy...

we thought about bidding on a lowe mileage 91 on ebay, but it went up above what we'd want to pay unseen (and across the country).

i am told by my dad and my husband that we are not gonna swap an engine because there's so much else to worry about also wearing out and yeah i do need a reliable truck, not just a fun one, as i'm not the tinkering type and my dad's got other responsibilities than fixin' up my truck all the time.

mixed feelings. there are so many things i like about it, but being realistic i don't think i can keep it up at the repair shop as inexpensively as people who do the work themselves... so buying another is gonna be the way we go... and since they don't make em like they used to, i'm swaying toward an xterra (can i say that here?)

thanks for your help, wish i could say it was an easy fix.

-heidi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.