Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, happily rolling along and pow putt cough putt cough.....dead and coasted to the side of the road. Couldn't find anything obvious.

Sky Plant Beard Jaw Eyewear

Had it towed home and replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator (I thought it was starving for gas).

It ended up being the fusible links just behind the passenger headlight near the battery.

My question is: Is there any downside to cutting them out and replacing them with more modern fuses?

For example,
Replacing this
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Steering wheel

With something like this:
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Rectangle Automotive lighting

Any reason to not do this? Any tips or suggestions? Seems more reliable and easier to fix if one lets go again, no?

Thank you in advance.

-Curtis

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry in advance for the long post but sometimes there is value in the nuances of the details.

TL;DR Our final conclusion was the problem turned out to be a loose connection on the fusible link responsible for the ecm. It mimicked a fuel delivery problem such as a clogged fuel filter but was likely the ecm getting wonky and sending bad instructions.

(it was not a fun gremlin to find)

Details: The rig had been running great and I was driving merrily along when there was a sputter and loss of power and I pulled over to the side of the interstate. Tried to restart, sputter, would only stay running if I feathered and applied the throttle and would immediately die out upon lifting the accelerator pedal. Got it home and changed the fuel filter. No improvement. Then changed the fuel pressure regulator just in case. No improvement. Jumped the fuel pump relay with a wire and could hear the pump whirring on 12v power. I was far down the :"fuel delivery being the problem:" trail and convinced myself it had to be the fuel pump and replaced it. It wasn't. But it did give me a reason to cut the pump access hatch that I have seen many on this forum do. Should I need to replace it in the future, it will make the job far easier. After all that, no improvement and still wouldn't start.

At this point, I was feeling pretty discouraged. I am pretty good at rebuilding and maintenance but diagnostic trouble-shooting is a weak area for me. And here I had just finished rebuilding this truck to be my "super-reliable" one and it left me stranded. The loss of confidence was unpleasant to say the least. I decided to have a fresh set of eyes look at it and scheduled time with a mechanic here in my area. I paid for his time at his service rate to help me and we dove in. Initially it showed no spark but all the components tested fine individually. We measured the psi at the fuel rail and it was fine so it wasn't a fuel problem. The air delivery was fine. It was frustrating. After many hours we finally decided to wiggle every single damn wire we could find. When he moved the fusible links around, just a little bit, suddenly there was a blip of power. It was one of those "don't anybody move!" moments while you look at each other to see what variable changed. We cleaned all the connections well, re-tightened them and presto, it fired right up. The real bugger of it was we checked those earlier and since none were burned or puffed (like Dennis said) we thought they were fine.

In the long run, it ended up being a "who knows what is good and what is bad?" scenario. Bad that it broke down suddenly and left me on the roadside,. But good that at least the problem presented itself and there was no damage and no one was hurt. Also, the fact that it was not something catastrophic or "wrong" so to speak like major parts failure or something I installed incorrectly was oddly reassuring . It seems to have been literally just "one of those things that happens" kind of thing. It was expensive to pay my friend for his time but totally worth it. Sometimes you have to pay the expert for the lesson.

So now I am back driving it regularly and no problems or issues. Runs great. And I am slowly regaining confidence in it with each short trip. I wouldn't take it cross country just yet but we will get there. I am also toying with the idea of replacing the fusible links with fuses but Dennis's (DSUZU) point about "slow-go" and "fast-go" when fusing a circuit and electric load makes sense. I might just try to carry extra fusible links for now and watch it carefully.

As always, thanks for all the advice on this forum. I would not have the Trooper I have now without all the support from here. It is much appreciated.
-Curtis

Hood Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system Gas

(My new access panel for the fuel pump)
Wood Rectangle Floor Asphalt Road surface

1 - 2 of 2 Posts