Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Very occasionally when I reverse or make a sharp turn, I hear a noise that's in between a "clank" and "thunk" coming from the rear of my truck. It almost sounds like my rear axle is shifting around!

I've been doing a bit of research and it sounds like I might need to replace my U-joints or at least regrease them (however this only sounded like it was a major problem with the 2nd gen rodeos).

If it is the u-joint, how difficult is it to replace them? It looks like I would need some special tools to push the joint out.

If its not the u-joint, any other ideas of what it might be? I've also known the rear brakes to cause this problem, but I just had them done, and its been happening long before the brakes were worked on. The noise just been getting ALOT worse this week.

Thanks!

'96 Honda Passport 4x2 Auto.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it may be the rear u-joint. Checking the u-joint is pretty simple. Block the wheels (front and back), set the parking brake, put the truck in neutral, and crawl under. Take the rear driveshaft and watch the u-joint while trying to turn the driveshaft. If you can move the driveshaft any at all, and theres play in the joint, time for replacement.
You can also remove the driveshaft and move the u-joints by hand, if they feel rough or make any popping noises or anything like that, then its time for replacement.

Its been my experience that when they need regreased it's not a clunk noise so much as a pop.

You may also look at your bushings in the rear.

Also, I had a problem with a clunking noise in the front that got worse and worse, but it was when driving over bumps. Turns out whoever had installed the sensa-trac shocks that were on it stripped the lower shock bolt. I am guessing they used an impact, I don't know any other way to easily strip a 12mm x 1.25 grade 8 bolt.

as far as special tools, I have not replaced the u-joints on an isuzu, but assuming they are like all other u-joints you can do it with snap ring plyers and a vice to use as a press. Hell, i've seen some people use heavy duty c-clamps to press the bushings out.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Might also be worn out bushings on your rear leaf springs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine makes a clunk sound when I shift into drive. When I crawled under is sounded like the rear u joint on the rear drives shaft. I'm hoping if I grease them, it will get better till I can get them replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts