Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems i have started one hell of a project. It all started whith me whanting to do a chevy v-8 swap into my 79 Isuzu KB. This is a perty standard thing, so i whanted to put a twist on it and not run a 350chev. So i started thinking about a big block chevy, but then the stars aligned themselves and something bigger and better showed itself. I found a local for sale add for a running and driver 1977 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I bought it for... $240 and drove it home. So i now have a 425cu Cadillac mated to a turbo hydramatic 400 tranny and a 12bolt GM rear axle. So now its time to try to make that stuff fit. 8) :lol:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Take a bunch of pictures of the process and keep us up to date.

Sounds like that will be one stuffed engine compartment.

What are you going to do about the front end:

Room to mount the engine with the axle in the way of the oil pan?

Strength of the front axle?

Sounds like a pretty cool project, I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone that has done a big block in a Zu.

Joe

·
Registered
808 Posts
He didn't specify but the Luv he's putting the 425 into is a '79 2wd, so no front axle problem :lol:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually as it sits right now its a 4x4, but ill be swaping on the steering knuckles and front axle crossmember from my 78. And i know of one guy who has put a big block into a LUV (same thing im dealing whith, i just like to call it by its proper name :lol: ). He was running a blown 396 whith a th400 tranny and a narrowed ford 9" rear axle. Heres a link to his picks and even a video of him driving it on some back roads :eek: 8)
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Project ... index.html
The caddy egine should fit a little better than a big block chev though. 2 factors play heavilly into that, the caddy is narrower and the distributor is in the front like a buick pontiac olds and chrysler. And the caddy big blocks are even lighter than chev big blocks by around 50 pounds.
8)

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Well if you are staying 2wd it shouldn't be any trouble, well other than stuffing a big block where it was never designed to go.

Good luck.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.